The Drama Room

I woke up to spasms.

My legs had a mind of their own today, any little thing triggering them.

I was over it.

I had begged my dad to let me stay home. He either didn't believe me or he didn't care. Because he dropped me off at school right in the middle of the chaos. Thankfully Alec was still doing me a solid, showing up early, he met me at the front door and I let him push me to my locker without much fuss. I was already exhausted.

"Rough morning?" He asked.

That was an understatement. Worst part was, I was out of weed and my card hadn't arrived. Some bullshit of it taking 21 one days after the state receives the application and processes the payment. In my opinion the government was fucking lazy.

But the idea that there was a chance it could take longer than 21 days was not helping my mood.

"Hey I was going to go to Drew's after school, want to come with me?" He asked, waiting for me to spin my com in my locker.

I was pretty slow at it but Alec never seemed to mind.

I looked over at him, leaning against Katie's locker, his arms folded over his chest as he towered above me.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

I scoffed. "How about the fact that Drew and I have barely talked since the party. Or ya know the fact that I can't walk up the steps to his house. How the fuck would I get in?"

"I'll carry you."

He said it so fast, so genuinely that I knew he would. But I couldn't let him do that. I didn't want him too.

"No you're not fucking carrying me anywhere." I told him.

"I don't mind." He shifted off the locker he was leaning against as I yanked the door open to my locker, rolling myself back in one smooth motion. I had to admit we were getting a system down and it was working for us.

"But I do man."

It wasn't that I didn't appreciate it. But I was desperately trying to hang on to my dignity anywhere I could. And if that meant I was never going over to my friend's houses again than so be it. Besides I wasn't even sure what Drew and I were these days. Maybe acquaintances. Maybe just someone I once knew.

                               ————————

By fourth period, I was downright miserable. I'd go to stretch or twist my body and almost every single time my legs would start up. Which left me trying to sit as still as possible so I didn't have to suffer through the annoyance in front of the entire study body. And because I was barely moving, a stabbing pain had basically overtaken my body. I couldn't focus, I didn't hear my name when the teachers were calling me, I didn't notice the traffic around me, I was in my own world, just trying to survive.

Fingers snapped in front of my face, jerking me back to reality. I blinked a couple times, shifting my gaze to whoever had broken me out of my trance.

"Hey." I mumbled, my thoughts already trying to take me anywhere but here.

"Doing okay?" Max asked.

I didn't answer as my mind focused on his question. Was I okay? Was this okay? Was this much pain okay?

"Hello, Owen?" He snapped his fingers again.

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

Max wasn't very tall, definitely under six foot. But it was clear he worked out, his arms straining against the fabric of the short sleeved shirt he had on. I had to give the kid credit, he was always impeccably dressed, far better than the joggers and hoodies I wore on a regular basis these days.