11

"Sorry about this," Alex sighed and took a drag of his smoke.

"No, no, it's fine," Miles, a longterm friend of Alex's and fellow musician, replied. "What's caught you in a spider's web?"

"You remember Rosanna?" Alex said desperately.

"Of course I remember her, we were good friends the few times we met," Miles said.

Alex didn't introduce many girls to Miles. As good friends they were, they were quite distant when they weren't making music for their combined album under the name "The Last Shadow Puppets". Only one so far, upon a whim, it didn't do too bad and it was fun memories making it. They spoke of writing another album as the Last Shadow Puppets, but it always seemed to be talk and no plans set in stone.

Miles Kane was a nice lad. Alex could always depend on him if he needed a outside or second opinion on something. Sometimes Matt was too close to home and knew too much about the people he wanted to talk about to confide in. In this case, Matt and Rosanna were great friends, meaning bias from Matt's side. Miles had only met Rosanna a handful of times, during the time where he and Alex were producing the Shadow Puppet's first album. They weren't close, Miles didn't know about her life. Alex thought a second opinion from Miles could help him get his shit together about his best friend.

"And you know that I broke up with Alexa, yeah?" Alex said nervously.

"Mhm," Miles nodded and waited for him to continue.

"Ever since she broke it off, well a month after but, I've been having these thoughts," Alex said, ensuring he kept his voice low in case anyone was listening.

"Thoughts?" Miles asked, raising a brow.

"About Rosanna," Alex said carefully as if her name was a glass object.

"What do you mean?" Miles asked.

"I think I'm falling for her," Alex blurred out.

There was a long pause before Miles spoke again. "Your best friend? The brunette yes?" Miles asked, just to make sure.

Alex nodded, feeling idiotic, "Yeah."

"I thought you two were only friends?" Miles questioned.

Alex sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "So did I. Then one night I had this thought about her, that I could give her everything she deserves. I thought it was just because I had a few drinks, then they became more and more frequent. Now I can't go a bloody minute without thinking about her—like I'm in love with her."

  "Well if you really feel that way, go after her, see if she feels the same about you," Miles said.

  Alex bit his lip. "She's seeing someone. Andy, same guy you met."

  Miles sighed on the other end and Alex knew that meant he was in deep shit.

  "Fucking hell Alex, can't you ever love someone that you don't have to fight a dragon to get?" He said after a long pause.

  Alex sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I know, I know. I don't know where it came from. But now all I want is her, I wanna make her happy and treat her right but if I do anything I might ruin our friendship and—fuck, I don't know what to do with myself."

  Miles' silence indicated that he was thinking over what to say and how to assist his friend in this dilemma.

"At first I was worried that it was just me needing to find someone to get over Alexa with...but it's not," Alex said.

"Are you sure?" Miles asked.

"I'm fucking certain," Alex huffed. "I'm addicted to her. And I've tried hooking up with other girls but it doesn't feel right—I just want her."