Sunday Service: When the Comfort Zone Becomes Uncomfortable

(03-10-19) Bro. Alex Solis

Comfort Zone --> Death Zone

=When the Comfort Zone Becomes Uncomfortable=

*Matthew 16:24
"24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

What is comfort zone?
-secured place; resting zone
-the thing you are good at where you don't have to try or work too hard.

Our Comfort Zones
-Homes
-Family
-Friends
-Position
-School
-Job or Workplace
-Business
-Relationahips
-Church/Ministry
-Our "sin" zone

"At times, it can also become places of pain and discomfort."

*John 10:10
"10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full"

*Matthew 16:24
"24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

What it is not?
-leaving your comfort zone is not abt doing reckless or doing stupid or foolish acts.
-finding a new place or situation where you can feel more fulfilled or satisfied.
-means taking the risk to become uncomfortable in order to obey what and where God is leading.

*Isaiah 53:5
"5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed"

God will either..
+Give you the option to move out of your comfort zone by your own choice or freewill, or
+He will PUSH you out of it so that you will learn how to trust in HIM.

Biblical Example #1: Jacob (Israel)
-lived as slaves in a place called "Goshen."
-moved out of Egypt into the desert to bring them to the Promised Land.
-constantly pushed out their "comfort zones" to prepare them so that they will learn to trust in Yahweh.

Biblical Example #2: Joseph (Dreamer)
-Jacob's favorite son.
-sold into slavery by his brothers.
-from pit --> palace--> prison--> palace
-God used him to bless the nation of Israel during the drought.

Biblical Example #3: Jonah
-commanded by God to go to Nineveh to preach against it.
-Jonah's disobedience caused calamity to those around him.
-God made a way to re-direct Jonah to his original assignment.

Biblical Example #4: Job
-upright, blameless, GOD-fearing, hates evil, rich but prayeful,
-God 'allowed' Satan to torment him to test his faith.
-God vindicated Job by restoring all that he lost.

Biblical Example #5: Jesus Christ
-God himself, humbled and came to earth for a "mission of love".
-Crucified, Died, Resurrected, Glorified
-Christ's getting out of His Comfort Zone resulted to our Salvation.

"Your breakthrough will not happen in your comfort zone."

What does it mean to get out of the "comfort zone"?

*Matthew 16:24
"24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

1. Let him deny himself.
Deny
-sinful self, all ungodliness, and wordly lusts.
-self-righteousness, self-justifications and boastings
-pleasures and profits of this world that competes with Christ.

*Romans 12:1-2
"1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.
2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will"

*Romans 12:3
"3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

2. Take up his cross.
-take and bear every correction, no matter how shameful it may be, knowing that it will produce a harvest of righteousness.
-quietly submit and carry with full acceptance "the trials" and hardships knowing that God is a God of justice.

*Galatians 2:20
"20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

3. Follow me.
-leave the security that this world offers and put hope and trust in Jesus Christ.
-radical change in lifestyle where we seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness above all things.

*Matthew 4:18-20
"18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.
19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
20 At once they left their nets and followed him."

*John 12:25
"25 The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life"

"A "real" Jesus Christ follower cam only find true comfort in the presence of the Holy Spirit."

"Will you leave your comfort zone to really follow Jesus Christ?"