Sunday Service: Approaching the Kingdom of Heaven

(09-15-19) Ptr. Rodel dela Cruz

*Matthew 18:1-5
"1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
2 He called a little child and had him stand among them.
3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.

=Approaching the Kingdom of Heaven=

Life stages of Human Development:
1-12: Childhood
13-35: Youth
36 and above: Adulthood

"Youth must be Empowered."

How to Approach the Kingdom of Heaven?
1. Faith of a Child (Ephesians 2:8)
"8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--"

*Matthew 18:3
"3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

*change or turned

*2 Timothy 2:22

"22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

+Moses gave us 365 prohibitions and 248 positive commands;
+David in Psalm 15 reduced them to 11;
+Isaiah in Isaiah 33:14-15, made them 6;
+Micah binds them into 3;
+And Habakuk reduces them into 1, namely "They just shall live by faith."

2. Humility of a Child (Matthew 18:4)
"4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

*Ephesians 2:8-9
"8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--"
9 not by works, so that no one can boast. (Pride)

"True humility means knowing yourself, accepting yourself, and being yourself, your best self to the glory of God."

"The truly humble person does not deny the gifts God has given him, but uses them to the glory of God."

An unspoiled child has the characteristics that make for humility:
1. Trust-- Dependence
2. The desire to make others happy
3. An absence of boasting or selfish desire to be greater than others.