Chapter Ten: Ozpin, Kieron Ozpin

A few miles away from Vale but between Atlas, Biden from sight of anyone, there is an island similar to that of Martin Island, only it is named as Ozpin Island. This place was the site of the original International Rescue headquarterers, and of the original Thunderbirds.

Formed as a result of seismic shifts in the ocean bed during the late Triassic age, approximately 200 million years ago, the island and its near neighbor, Mateo, are peaks of a sub-aquatic ridge that stretches east across the main tectonic plate to its convergence with the plates. Now completely dormant, both islands were once volcanically active and are internally honeycombed with vast lava-formed chambers linked by a network of extinct vent channels. On the southern side of the island at sea level these form a network of cavernous grottoes, which are reputed to be the home of an elusive species of water mamba. The geological composition of the island's rock strata is also rich in valuable minerals, including sought-after deposits of the ultra-rare Cahelium X.

Following Jeff and Ozpin's purchase of the two islands in the early 2040's of the original Thunderbirds base, work quickly commenced to create an idyllic, self-contained luxury retreat - indicating to the casual visitor Ozpin Island was nothing more than a lavish millionaire's paradise, where the family could live a life of luxury oblivious to everyday reality. After construction of an airstrip leading from the northern edge of the island to the cliff-edge of a small plateau, well-placed to catch the dramatic sunsets, work started on a streamlined two-storey villa to Ozpin's personal design. Built on an outcrop of rock overlooking a palm-fringed apron, which offered the perfect location for a kidney-shaped pool, the villa quickly took shape. Additional accommodation was also planned and constructed to provide guest-quarters and leisure facilities. This consists of the Round House, a cantilevered doughnut-shaped residence built above a sunken circular oriental garden and accessed by a path running to the east of the main house; and the Cliff House, a jutting two-storey construction built into a cleft of rock situated above the landward end of the island's runway and topped with a domed concrete canopy. Internal lift and moving-walkway systems link Cliff House and Villa, with a small hangar entrance built into the base of the cliff. A further internal travel-way connects to a converted ocean-side cave, which acts as a boathouse for the family's various seagoing craft.

Within the Ozpin Villa, there is a spacious lounge that forms the focus of the main building, with family bedrooms and a small laboratory workshop on the same floor - all fitted with the latest audio and visual systems, including micro-layer flatscreen TVs and total-surround audio players. There's also a family dining room, a breakfast nook and a modern kitchen fitted with the latest-model atomic cooker.

From the lower floor, access can be made to a complex of leisure facilities built into the island's labyrinth of caves. A gym, shooting range, billiard room, a small cinema, a music room and an indoor pool are just a few of the amenities that the Tracy family can enjoy during moments of relaxation. Just off the kitchen is a small tropical patio, with a door leading outside the villa.

The centre of family life, accessed by a smaller reception room leading off a central hallway, the main lounge is spacious and well-lit. Angled French windows along one wall open onto a full-length balcony, from the split-level floor space. Directly facing Ozpin's desk, to the left of the room's main entrance, visitors will see portraits of his five children in everyday casual attire.

In the far corner diagonally opposite the main entrance, are Ozpin's desk and work station. Behind the desk are shelves lined with books and personal mementos, surrounding a video monitor built into a compact electronic control unit and communication post. Originally mounted on twin supports (prior to recent redecoration), the desk could be raised to the ceiling when not in use - but as this proved rarely to be the case, it was replaced with a larger, conventionally-supported version. However, this newer model lacked the flip-top feature of the original, which initially housed an electronic keypad and printer.