Chapter Twelve: Thunderbird Two Has Been Hit!

A bright orange glow could be seen down on the horizon of the desert in Vacuo. But, the glow isn't that of a setting sun; it is of that of an oil refinery, and it was on fire! A blazing inferno can be seen all around the refinery, and it seems to be taking hold of a section of the refinery. Fortunately, the facility was evacuated about an hour ago, but the bad news is, if the flames reach the propane and crude oil storage tanks, there will be an explosion so powerful, it'll destroy the entire facility.

Not far from the refinery, both Thunderbird One and Thunderbird Two were parked nearby, alongside Thunderbird Shadow. Just ahead of the green transporter, Thunderbird Two's fire and rescue vehicle, the Firefly, started to drive towards the full force of the flames, Owen in command of the vehicle, with Blaze controlling the water cannons on the back.

The Firefly is a dual-purpose fire-fighting and debris-clearance vehicle

The Firefly is a dual-purpose fire-fighting and debris-clearance vehicle. The vehicle is 150ft long, with a body width of 30ft, the front shield and dozer blade being 60ft, and mounted on hydraulic arms, so it can be raised or lowered. It has a compact 800bhp power plant, and weighs 56 tonnes. the craft runs on heavily modified fireproof tank treads. The Firefly's forward-mounted shield is constructed of Cahelium Extract-X, providing heat protection from intense temperatures and resilient dozer-blade capability. The shield allows access for the barrel of a heavy-duty gun, armed with nitroglycerine shells. These can snuff out otherwise-uncontrollable fires, and for major debris clearance. Rear-mounted water and foam dispensers can be used for vehicle-cooling purposes, and for blaze control.

"Firefly to Thunderbird One." Owen reported in on Comms, as he lowered the visor on his helmet, ready to go. "Blaze and I are going in." He added.

"Good luck, Owen. You and Blaze have 45 seconds to take care of that fire before it hits the tanks." Braedey replied back. He flies past the Firefly with the Firestorm Armour, flying towards the flames, dropping a few rounds of fire retardant down across the refinery to try and slow down the fire.

The Firefly drove towards the centre of the flames, with Blaze during the water cannons at the nearby buildings to protect them from the fire, while also attack parts of the inferno. The Firefly lowers its shield down in front of the cab and nose, as it begins to drive up to the burning facility, as Blaze climbs into the cab, operating the cannons from inside. Next, it deploys the nitroglycerine shell cannon, and aims it towards the core of the burning building, along with the rear-mounted water and foam dispensers. At once, the front-mounted cannon fires the nitroglycerine shell at the core of the flames, along with shooting a large amount of foam right at the fires near the upper floors. Suddenly, a big flash of white suddenly occurred inside the burning refinery, and slowly but surely, the flames start to slowly snuff out and become extinguished, leaving an empty and burnt-out section of the oil refinery.

"Whoo! What a light show." Blaze commented, with the Firefly raising its shield up in victory. "Guess we can set off for home."

"Understood, Firefly." Braedey replied back, flying in and hovering in the air a few feet away. "I'll do one more sweep of the area in case of any fires." With that, he takes to the air, and starts to fly around the refinery.