38

38

Chapter Warnings : Forced Bonding

▪E D I T E D▪

"Border wolves," Liam cursed lowly as he ducked behind a tree, eyes slitted.

Luca grumbled behind him, "I'm all for 'being the law'," He scowled, "But I don't see why we can't just shoot those savages down. They've killed too many people to have a peaceful life."

Liam shot Luca a look of reproach, peeking again. "Do you hear yourself?"

Luca only scowled deeper, muttering a pressed 'sorry' in reply. He needed sleep.

"There's one for each 50 metre mark," Liam observed, "Shouldn't they be scarce?" He muttered in frustration.

Luca clicked his tongue, "Allied packs. Or they're old. Either one of them--"

He was cut off by a piercing howl that rattled through the silent air. Several howls followed after, and Liam observed as the wolves at the borders answered the call of their Alpha.

Grip tightening on the holster of his gun, picked up a big rock in his hand.

"Old pack wolves," Luca concluded from his observation. "What are you doing?" He hissed, following lithely behind Liam who shuffled closer to wolves at the borders.

"Three howls, yeah? That's the tradition?"

Luca nodded with a frown, watching as Liam shook his head and threw the rock away. "They aren't dumbed down mutts, obviously," He muttered to himself, clicking open his phone.

"Obviously," A voice sounded behind them, and Luca cocked both his guns.

"You seriously think they'd give up their positions to go investigate gun shot sounds? They're older. Not stupid."

Liam froze, eyes flickering up with a gun ready in his tight fist. "Who are you?"

"Tch," The wolf muttered, throwing a leg over his other, flipping his long silky hair that reached his back. "They've fallen far too many times for that, courtesy of yours truly," The wolf grinned wickedly as he jumped down from the branch he was perched on.

Luca's finger tightened over the trigger, faltering when he spotted the shades the wolf was sporting. "Take them off," He gritted, swallowing when Liam unbuckled the rifle from behind his back.

"Tut tut," The stranger wagged a teasing finger, and Luca stilled when the wolf slipped off the glasses to reveal dull violet eyes that glowed lowly. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Who. Are. You," Liam snarled lowly, bristling when the wolf grinned in answer. "I'm not obligated to answer you, Liam Payne," He chuckled when Liam froze, "But to your good luck, I'm on your side today. I'm Rayna."

Luca's eyebrows furrowed when he couldn't pinpoint what kind of scent the wolf carried with him. He almost screamed when the wolf was barely centimetres from him, trailing a lone finger down his cheek. "Don't try too hard, beautiful," Rayna grinned smugly when Luca's hand faltered in alarm, "You'd never find out."

Liam cocked his gun, eyes flashing, "Step back. Now."

"Or else?" Rayna snorted, pouting mockingly at Liam. The Alpha tightened his posture, and the wolf scoffed leisurely, waving him off, "Re-lax, I'm kidding. So serious, isn't he, beautiful?" Rayna teased, resting his arm on Luca's stiff shoulder. "Damn," Rayna rumbled lowly, trailing his finger over Luca's sharp jaw, "Cut me with that jawline, baby."