Chapter 22: "The Ear Incident"

KVN had gone back upstairs, heading for the Galaxy One, leaving us in peace.

Avocato and I were siting beside the water, holding hands.

"I like whenever we have peace and quiet."

"Same here. I enjoy spending time with you."

We both sat there, just looking into the water's reflection.

"So....Pawblo, there's something that I have been meaning to ask."

"Yeah, babe. Go ahead."

".....I hope this doesn't bother you."

"Avo, it's fine. Just ask."

He then placed his hand on my left ear.

"What happened to your ear?"

I take my hand and lightly brush his hand off of it

"I....don't really like talking about that."

Avocato took my hands, holding them against his.

"Pawblo, it's alright. You don't have to talk about it."

I sigh.

"No, it's fine. I don't really talk about this, so don't tell anyone. Promise?"

"Promise."

This made me let out a huge sigh of relief.

"This whole incident happened when......"

Flashback

.....I was 8 years old. At this point I learned how to properly fend for myself.

One day, I decided that I was ready to go to the junkyard and look for a lightbulb, as the one in my room at the abandoned building short-circuited.

And there I go, on my own, taking a knife that I had found for protection, stored in my satchel.

As I approached the junkyard, I nervously walked in.

I must have searched through many piles, as the owner of the place locked up his office and left me to do my business.

As I was searching the piles, I noticed a box sitting atop a hill of junk. That box happened to be a still unwrapped package containing enough lightbulbs for me to live on.

I remember climbing up it, and I must have slipped on something. Maybe it was a spring or something, but whatever it was caused me to call down.

I passed out.

A few hours later, I think, I woke up. Trying to get up, I soon realized that my ear was trapped underneath a pretty old heavy dresser.

I screamed and screamed, begging and yelping for someone to come and help, but no one answered. And as I dug around my satchel for a way out....

.....I realized I had to do the worst but helpful outcome......

End of flashback

".....I had to cut a part of my ear off." I stared at the ground, a look of disgust forming on my face.

Avocato sat there, hugging me with both arms.

"Pawblo, I......I'm sorry I asked."

"No, it's fine.....We all might die, so I guess it's cool to tell you now."

"......"

I fiddled with my ear, feeling the exact spot where I started cutting it.

"I guess....I always thought that....maybe people didn't want me.....because I was ugly. Because of my ear."

Avocato lightly turned my head around.

"Pawblo, that's not true."

"But what if it is?"

Avocato held my hand. "Let them think that. To me, you're the most beautiful, most handsome and most kindhearted person I know."

Hearing these words, I started to tear up a little.

"But what if.....what if people don't see me like that?"

"......Then they're wrong."

Suddenly, we soon felt the ground shaking. It was an earthquake.

"Whaaaaats goiiiing oonnnnnnn????!?!?"