Chapter 40: Heartbreak

It was the middle of the night.

In space, at least.

I woke up to hear Gary and Butch speaking with someone. I soon heard the entrance open and close. A ship zooming off.

I didn't bother to wake up Avocato. He was tired, and rest was all he needed. Aside from other things, of course. I slid my pants and my shirt back on and walked out the room.

I saw Gary, Nightfall, and Butch standing in the hallway. Gary has a stern look, Nightfall's face was filled with worry, and my Dad......well, his face was saddened.

"Guys? What happened?"

"Remember that 'family heirloom' Gary and Butch went to steal with Sheryl? Turns out, it was a dimensional key! And she just LEFT WITH IT!"

"What?! How?!?"

Nightfall eyed my Dad. "Butch, do YOU want to tell him?"

Butch was looking at me, but his head was down. He sighed, as if he was nervous and disappointed.

"......Dad?"

"......I....let her go. She blindly kissed me before she left.....and in front of Gary, too.....she....she was never into me....or into staying around."

My mind went into a spiral. "What.....what the hell?! She can't get away with this!"

"Pop? Grandpa? What's happening?" Little Cato walked out of his room, his hands rubbing his eyes and a yawn leaving his mouth.

"Everything's okay, squirt. Go back to bed." Butch's voice was shaky.

Little Cato glanced at me. "It's okay, Little Cato. Listen to grandpa."

He nodded and turned around and went back into his room.

"So.....Gary....what's the plan?"

He walked down the hallway a bit. "To find a way to get it back. She was always good at taking away what's important to me. That woman hasn't seen the last of me. The last of US."

He turned back to face us.

"It's on."