Chapter 42: "The Talk"

Happy pride month 2020, here's a very terrible father and son bonding moment.

Me and Little Cato walked into my workshop.

"What did you want to talk about, Pop?"

I sat on the cot (i keep one in here for naps) while he sat on my desk chair. "Well, son.....your Dad told me to talk to you about something, and he'll probably not tell you if I don't, so here we are."

"Talk about what?"

I breathe in and out. "You know, have you been......feeling weird lately?"

Little Cato's face nods. "No, not much."

"Well, you might start feeling weird at some point, for a kid your age because, well......it happens to every guy."

"What exactly happens?"

I looked around the room, nervously scratching my fur. "Son, you're going to start having these.....feelings....sometime soon. You're at that age where.....uh, something happens. Everyone goes through this. I went through it, your dad went through it.....you'll go through it soon."

"What are you referring to???"

"I'm talking about.......puberty."

"Ewww! Whyyyy?!?"

"I know, I know. But you have to learn at some point."

Little Cato was covering his ears. "Nope nope nope nope nope. I so do NOT want to hear this, Pop!"

"You're going to want to.....touch yourself in certain places (oh god why am I doing this).......and that's okay, as long as its private. And if you ever did things with a woman or man....that's fine, but not until you're older."

"If I say yes and that I understand, can you let me go?"

"I mean, I'm glad we're having this talk, since I don't want you to get it all wrong. Being in a relationship is a beautiful experience, but you have to treat whoever you're in love with right. Be a man, you know?"

Little Cato sat in silence. "Oh.....okay."

I sighed in relief and smiled. "Look, I know this was kind of tough to listen to. It was tough for ME to talk about it. I'm your parent now, and I don't even know how to be one, for that matter. I'm just learning as I go, and maybe.....you could learn how to be my son, I guess."

Little Cato just smiled silently. "I know you're just looking out for me, and I appreciate that, Pop. I love you like I love my Dad."

His reply gave me a big smile. I got up from the bed, and kneeled down. We hugged each other, and I sighed. "How did I get so lucky to have a son like you?"

"I'm pretty great, right?"

"Don't push it."

I chuckle a little. "Listen.....if you ever want to talk about anything.....especially about puberty or anything of the sort......let me know, okay?"

Little Cato nodded. "Yeah....I definitely will."

The workshop door opened to show Gary, looking at me desperately.

"We need to talk, yo. Mooncake is gone."