Chapter 44: Make Up

I was in Little Cato's room, where he was helping me with a new invention.

"Am I doing this right?" He was screwing a tiny bolt onto a sliver of metal. It was something that I've been meaning to make for a while.

"You certainly are. Just keep inserting the screw......aaaannnnd, there!" I smiled at what we finished making. I picked it up and attached it to the cut off part of my ear.

"What is it, Pop?"

"Oh, it's an attachment for my ear. I feel weird about not having that missing piece on it, so I decided to make a new piece for my ear. You know, to feel complete."

Little Cato's face scrunches. "It's cool, I guess. But I still prefer your ear just the way it is. I bet Dad does, too."

I sat there, contemplating. "I just thought that.....maybe I'd look normal for at least a little while."

"But your ear looks cool!"

"I guess you're right, but.....it feels weird to me sometimes."

Little Cato nods. "I understand."

He walked and began to climb up his bunk, but Fox came in. "You. Little ventrexian. Do you THINK I don't know that you've been dipping your paw in my MOUTH in the middle of the night?"

Little Cato had anger in his face, out of nowhere. "Get out of here! You're crazy!"

"Oh, the hair in my MOUTH isn't crazy, now, is it?" Fox then took his and and spit, revealing a ball full of orange hair,. He angrily splats them onto the side of Little Cato's bunk.

"Son, is this true?" I got up and sternly looked at him.

Little Cato denied it. "Of course not! He's lying, Pop."

"Little Cato, you better not be lying to me, unless you want me to tell your Dad."

He stood in silence for a bit. "..........yeah, it was me."

I stood in between the two of them. "I don't know much about parenting, but I do know how to fix this. Little Cato, apologize."

"What?! But he's a—"

"I don't care if he's a Tryvullian. I don't even know what's wrong with both of our species interacting, because I was alone all my life. Now, apologize."

Little Cato mumbled something under his mouth. "Fox, I'm sorry for putting my paw in your mouth."

Fox nodded. "Apology accepted. Thank you, Pawblo, for fixing this."

"You're welcome. Now both of you, relax for a minute, and maybe you'll both be best friends, right?"

The two looked away from each other, not speaking a word.

"Okay, then."

Suddenly, the lights went out.

"What the fudge? What's going on?"

I looked around. The room was lit with a red light. It was a signal meaning the power is out.

"Aw crap."