Chapter 34: Father-Son Bonding

We blew up an ancient snake from hell.

Those were words that I thought of just now.

Mostly because that actually happened.

The second key was on Serpentis, Ash's home planet. The key was in an ancient dragon's mouth. Pulling it out killed it. And here we are now.

I literally just got out of the shower to get rid of the smell. It was disgusting.

I decided that this was the perfect time to make a new invention. Something that can help me and others a lot more. Something functional. Something fun.

As I was building my latest tech, Little Cato came in. "Pop, have you seen Dad?"

I paused for a bit and soon gave him his awaited answer. "Your dad's in the shower."

Little Cato nodded and soon walked over to me at the desk. "What are you working on?"

"Oh, just a new invention of mine. It could probably help me speed up my inventing hobby and provide assistance in combat."

"Huh?"

"I'm building a tool."

"Oh. Can I help?"

I turn to him. "Really? You wanna help me?"

Little Cato smiled and chuckled. "Yeah, Pawblo! I want to spend time with you, since you're my Pop now."

I sniffled a little. It feels nice to be wanted, especially by your new son.

"Well, then. Mind passing me the screwdriver? It's somewhere in my closet."

"Sure thing!" Little Cato rummaged through my closet and pulled out what I wanted. "Here ya go, Pop!"

"Thanks, son." I took the screwdriver from Little Cato's hand and used it to tighten the last few bolts.

"It's done."

"What IS it exactly?" He stared at it for a moment, looking puzzled. "It sort of looks like a backpack or something.

"You'll see it in action the next time we get into a tight situation."

"Cool, can't wait!" He smiled widely. "You know, it's cool that you're my Pop now!"

I nodded. "Same. I feel weirdly excited to be your parent. Hope I don't screw it up."

Suddenly, we heard the ship alarm. AVA spoke.

Emergency! Collision with space anomaly imminent!

Little Cato and I ran out of the room and towards the ship's deck. He sat down on the pilot chair and spooled up the engines.

"Don't worry, I got this!"

The Crimson Light began to swerve and steer around these big looking glass shards. According to HUE and AVA, they appeared to be shards of time.

"Let me know if you need a copilot or anything."

"Don't worry, Pop. I got this!'

Little Cato gripped the controls and soon turned around one last swarm of time shards. He powered down the ship, and soon there was nothing but silence.

"See? I told you we got nothing to worry ab--"

CRASH!

A time shard soon cut through the ship, cutting me off from Little Cato. I only hear him scream my name before he disappeared away from me, and drifted to the other side.

"Little Cato!" I screamed. I was on the ground. My hands felt sweaty, a few tears dripped down my eyes.

Is....is he dead?!

I soon heard the others come in behind me, staring in awe at the time shard.

"Blueberry? What happened? Where's Little Cato??"

I turned and looked at the ground for a moment before I looked up and stared at Avocato, tears dripping down my face.

"It's.....it's all my fault......"