Chapter 31: A Lot More Talking

I was sitting on the counter with Little Cato, Avocato, and Gary, as well as my Dad. We were just talking.

"No way! You guys got married and didn't even tell me?"

"Gary, it came up last minute. Pawblo just surprised me out of nowhere."

He was laughing now. "Well, congratulations, my fellow bros."

Little Cato chipped in to the conversation. "Hey, Pop?"

It was the first time I heard Little Cato call me that. I was ecstatic to be his parent alongside Avocato.

"Huh....'Pop'....I can get used to this. What is it, son?"

"Does this mean you'll always be around?"

"Of course I will! You and I are family now. We protect each other."

"What about grandpa?"

I looked next to him. He was smiling a little and soon responded. "I've been away from my son for far too long. It's about time I make up for the years I've been apart from him. PLUS, I get to spend time with you, my grandson!"

Little Cato pumped his fists in the air. "CATO FAMILY FOREVER! YEAH!"

I laughed a little. "Glad that you're excited about that, son. I promise that I'm going to protect you and your dad from now on."

Avocato nodded. "Like we always say: we're Catos. We don't mope...."

"...we do!", Little Cato yelled, finishing the sentence.

I smiled. I truly was at home.

"So, Pawblo....where did you and Avocato meet?", Butch asked.

I chuckled. "Oh, man......the first time we met...that felt like ages ago...."

Avocato smiled. "He was just minding his own business while I was on a mission with Gary here. I saw that your son was getting harassed, so I jumped in to save him."

"And then I saved HIM from getting shot. It was almost as if we were meant to meet on that day." I gaze off, remembering that day as if it were yesterday.

"That sounds like a hell of a day." Butch smiled lightly. "You know.....I regret leaving you there many years ago...."

My smile faded a bit. "It's okay, Dad. You probably had to. I don't blame you. Tera Con Prime was a freaking hell hole."

"You can say that again."

Butch's smile returned. "I promised to make up for lost time. And that is what's going to happen. I want to spend time with you, my new son-in-law, and grandson."

Avocato nodded. Little Cato was smiling, his grin wider than anyone else's.

Suddenly, the lights start blinking red, and the ship began jolting.

A.V.A, the Crimson Light's AI, chimed in.

"Alert! We are being pulled into a large vessel of some kind. I have tried to lightfoot, but we are now immobilized."

We all ran to the ship's entrance and grabbed our weapons. I grabbed my rocket boots and pistol, ready to kill some enemies.

I don't know what we're facing, but I won't face it alone. I've got my new family and friends to help.

We stick together, no matter what.