Ch. 7: Day 2 of Hell

Third PoV

Day 2, 9:00 a.m.

Akio was tired but was kinda excited. It was because Shinomiya was going to be his judge.

"Bonjour. I'm Shinomiya 79th graduating class. For my assignment, you will prepare the dish I have specified. Has everyone receive a copy of the recette(recipe)?" Shinomiya introduce himself.

Akio looks around and see that most of the student were freaking out. Then Akio hear some students whispering to each other,

"Ugh! Chef Shinomiya? This sucks!"

I heard he expelled over thirty students yesterday!"

"Are you serious!?"

"And for our assignment we have to make the recipe he picked?"

Akio looks at them as if they were trash. 'Who dares talk about Shinomiya-senpai like that? They're rude..' Akio thought.

"I chose some very simple ingredients for this version of the recette, you know. Would you rather I had chosen more difficult ones?" Shinomiya said as he waves the paper around.

Some students all the same thing, 'Damn! I really want to punch him in his smug mouth!'

"Another thing. This assignment will not be done in pairs. Each student will prepare a terrine on his or her own. Additionally, aiding others or providing advice during preparation is forbidden. Choose your ingredients carefully from the stacks provided at the back of the kitchen. Oh, and before we begin, let me give you a quick tip.. It's wise to assume every student here is your enemy. You have three hours. Ready?" Shinomiya explains.

"Begin!"

Everyone ran to the ingredients and they were all pushing and shoving. Akio slides between the students and grabs all healthy looking ingredients. Akio looks around and he smirks.

'Everyone has such lovely eyes.. It's the look of wanting to bring everyone below you even though you know you can't.. Shinomiya-senpai is a genius, plus I get to work alone. It's much easier than some other times.' Akio thought as he is still cooking.

Akio sees some student finishing up. He grabs his now finished terrine and went up to Shinomiya. Akio smiles and walks up proudly. Shinomiya looks at Akio and at his terrine. Shinomiya takes a bit and was silent. Akio looked kinda anxious but he was still smiling.

"You did great. You pass." Shinomiya said with a soft smile at Akio.

Akio notices and nods as he walks away. Akio stands with the other students that have passed. A short while later, Tadokoro gave her terrine to Shinomiya, he took a bite and had a blank expression.

"Megumi Tadokoro... You fail." Shinomiya said.

"Right. Is that everyone? Everyone who failed, gather your belongings and wait in the hotel lobby-"

"M-m-may I ask, um... Wh-what was wrong with my dish?" Tadokoro asked.

"When you boiled that bad cauliflower.... you used wine vinegar with it, correct?" Shinomiya asked.

"Th-then why did you..!?"

"Who said you were allowed to change my recette?" Shinomiya said coldly.

This scared Tadokoro. Akio shivers, he was scared but knowing it was Shinomiya, he wasn't as scared. Shinomiya explains why Tadokoro has failed. Just when Shinomiya was finished and was about to leave, Yukihira stops him. Akio looks and watches carefully.

'Even though it's probably not my business, I really want to know..' Akio thinks as he moves a bit closer to them.

Yukihira was trying to prove Shinomiya wrong and that Tadoroko was doing the right thing. Yukihira talking back, made the other student scared and shocked. Just then Shinomiya snapped.