Ch. 34: BLUE Tournament

The BLUE tournament starts. In the Heaven's Keep, Akio was there.

"This year's BLUE is different because of you." Akio says, sighing.

"I'm the Bookmaster, you knew that already."

"But I didn't know you were going to let the Noirs participate."

"You should have expected that because of what I'm looking for."

"Ahh... Right. I shouldn't be suprised."

"So when are you going to leave me?"

"I plan on staying by your side for the rest of the BLUE tournament."

"..... Fine, as long your sister isn't going to stay here with us."

"Alright." Akio smiles, hearing the Bookmaster's reply.

In the First Gate, Soma, Takumi, and Tadokoro all got split up. The group Soma was in had to prepare a last meal for a former Noir chef. Takumi's group had to prepare a baby's first solid food. Lastly, Tadokoro's group had to make a dish that both pets and pet owners would love. The three of them passed and went onto the Second Gate.

"Soma Yukihira has made it through the First Gate." Anne says to the Bookmaster.

"So he made it through... The son of a diner family. I do not understand. But I suppose all shall become clear with the next challenge." The Bookmaster says.

Hearing the response from the Bookmaster, made Akio smile.

In the Second Gate, there was a convience store. The challenge was to create a dish that would be worth over a hundred dollars, about 10,000 yen, using only that could be found in the convience store. The light chefs were freaking out as there was no gourmet ingredients in the store. In the Second Gate, Tsukasa was there, who was given a pass to the gate. With Tsukasa there, Soma, Takumi, Tadokoro, and the dark chefs, the Noirs, were riled up to pass.

Akio got up from his seat. "I'll be going somewhere, I'll be back, okay?"

"Do whatever." The Bookmaster replies.

Akio leaves the room and goes to where Erina is at, which was the inner citadel of the castle. As Akio got there, Asahi pops up and grabs Akio by the wrist and drags him to the beginning of the bridge. Then he brings out a bunch of magazines.

"Where do you want to go? For our honeymoon." Asahi asks.

"Why do you have magazines?" Akio asks.

"See, on the way here, I passed by a combini-like thing, so I picked up a few magazines. I guess somewhere in the tropic, like Bali, would be good."

"Hey, that does sound nice but I have no intention of talking to you. I have no idea who you are exactly."

"If I tell you who I am, will you talk with me?"

"That depends on how you tell your story. You might lie through your teeth."

"Really? I dunno. At least hear half of it. I don't know my real dad. Ever since I can remember, it was always just me and mom."

Akio looks at Asahi, carefully listening to his story.

"I was born in a very poor neighborhood in the Northern part of America. My mom was always drinking, but I would sneakily poor water for her. It worked when she was dead drunk. She'd never notice, and she'd pass out soon after. But... If I ever messed up the timing... She'll force my head into the sink filled with water. Eventually, she died. And I was lucky enough to get picked up by an orphanage. When I was seven, I met someone. Joichiro. As part of some charity work his friend helped organize, Joe would come make food for us kids. I'd never eaten something so warm and so delicious before. I learned to help him when he'd come. He'd take me to the market, to the fields, and to the farm. I started walking the path of a chef. He put in a word for me at restaurants in the area, and they let me learn in the kitchen. French, Chinese, Italian, Japanese... He told me about the cuisines of the world. Not just cooking. I heard so many things from him. Learned so much. He never said it himself, but I'd repeat it to myself, deep within my heart. "You're my dad, Joichiro." But when I turned 15, he said that he can't come visit America anymore because his wife died and he had to take care of his son. I thought, "Why was I not born as Joichiro's son?" I wanted to be Soma Yukihira, I wanted Joichiro to be my dad. He was the dad I waited so long for." Asahi explains his story.