Ch. 23: The Advancement Exams

The Announcement

"Oh geez... do I have really have to do this?" Tsukasa said as he had papers in his hand and was sweating as he walks up the stage.

"I keep telling everyone that I'm not very good at public speaking- Dwah!!"

"Just get up there and do it, you wuss!" Rindou pushes Tsukasa.

"Maaan... if only Isshiki or Akio we're here to do this I stead... okay, so how long before we're live?" Tsukasa asked.

"We already are." Nene said.

"We are?! Um! H-h-hello, everyone. I'm, um, Central's Eishi Tsukasa. Today I, um, I have a message to pass along to you from Central." Tsukasa starts with while his face is blushing red from embarrassment.

"The schedule for this year's advancement exam has been set. The advancement exams are important event awaiting all high school first-year students at the end of their second term. Last year, this was a harsh and cruel trial. Of the 190 students who attempted, only 76 passed. Those who didn't were coldly forced to leave the institute by the administration. It was a bad custom of on outdated education ideology. But this year will be different. Headmaster Azami has freed you from such unnecessary and cruel competitions. Starting this year, the advancement exams have been changed to be a simple review of your understanding of the Azami method of cooking. Show that you have learned the skill and techniques we have been teaching in your everyday classes, and will do just fine. With a little bit of study and preparation, anyone can pass these tests with ease. You are no longer inhibited by the old system. Let it go. As long as you faithfully follow the precepts of Central, every one of you can become a first-class chef! However..." Tsukasa's voice sounded more serious.

"For those of you who still refuse to conform to Headmaster Azami's policies.. it will be a good lesson in what ultimately awaits you... um a-and that's it for this broadcast. Have a good day. Phew! That was nerve racking. Why did I have to do this, anyway? Rindou? Kinokuni? One of you two should do it next time." Tsukasa says walking off stage and sighed.

"No way, Jose!" Rindou denys.

-At the Polar Star Dormitory-

Erina is in Yukihira's room, telling him something.

"When we were little, I think... no, I know.. We had no passion for cooking or anything gourmet." Erina starts off.

"Disgusting. Beignets must be served fresh and piping hot. The chilled ricotta-mousse topping muddled things terribly. The result is a boring and uninspired dish. The dish is terrible. And this one too." Young Erina continues telling the chefs what makes the dish terrible.

Young Akio stood by her side, pouting. The food looks so good but Erina didn't like the taste at all. Akio looked at Erina painfully as there was a long line of chefs waiting for their dish to be tasted.

"Erina. These last several days of fasting must have tired you. Perhaps you should take a break from your duties.." their grandfather said.

"I'm fine, grandfather. I'm a Nakiri too. I must do my best for the sake of the family."

"I was the Divine Tongue. I had to.  It was my duty. I had no choice but to spend day after day... staring down a never ending parade of disappointing dish after disappointing dish. It was then that I.. No, we met him- Chef Saiba."

"For once, my tasting duties for the day had been canceled. There were no guests either. It was just Akio and I. I remembered how quiet the mansion seemed. As Alice had already gone to Europe, I found myself with nothing at all to fill my stomach."