Ch. 20: A New Yet Old Challenge

Final day of the Moon Festival

It was night and the booths in the Main Street Area and Central Areas were closed. The Yamanote Area were still opened though. Akio was cooking and when he was done, he placed them to a customer before heading towards Erina and Hisako. Then Hisako was talking to Erina.

"Erina-sama... The Moon Festival is soon coming to a close."

"Yes." Erina looked at an empty table.

'He's not coming today, either. It's all for the day when he finally comes.' Erina thought as she remembers a man name Saiba.

From the door, some noises were made, like someone was knocking on it.

"All the guests with reservations have already arrived. I'll go take a look." Hisako says going up to the door.

'It can't be..' Erina had a happy expression on her face.

A tall black shadow came into the building.

"Excuse me, sir. This establishment is by reservation only." Hisako gasps and was frozen.

"Hisako?" Erina went up to Hisako, but stopped when she looked closely to the person in front of them.

"It's been a while, Erina. Akio."

"Father..." The twins says.

"E-excuse me. This is very improper!" Hisako tried to stop Azami.

"Erina and Akio, your cooking is not for such a subpar lot! You need to be more selective when it comes to your clientele. You both are degrading yourselves." Azami said without hardly any emotions.

The customers in there had their eyes widen by his words and some were angry too.

"Hey, boy. Do you say that knowing who we are? Well, do you?!" A man, that was one of the previous judges named Kota Osaji, asked.

"I remember him." said another man named Ando Shingo.

"Could he be Nakiri's.. it can't be! You were exiled from Totsuki!"

"Indeed, I am Azami Nakiri, Erina and Akio Nakiri's father."

Erina held herself and shook violently. Hisako stood closely by her. Akio was shaking a little but kept his composure and breathed heavily trying to calm himself down.

"How is it that you're acting so high and mighty when you've been exiled? We are official business partners of Totsuki Academy."  Natsume Sendawara said.

"Good point, Onee-chan! So any insults toward us would be insults toward Totsuki itself." Orie Sendawara also followed with the sentence.

"I have some back to correct Totsuki's course."

"What did you say?" The Sendawara sisters both said at the same time.

"Of all those who claim to be knowledgeable about food, I wonder how many actually understand true taste. Common to all fine art is that at its highest, it's true value can only be understood by those who possess class and taste, and who have received proper educations. True gourmet dining is similar. It's value should be shared with only a select few. This is what deserves to be called food. Everything else is not food. It is animal feed. Not that I expect that to be understood by those who mistakenly believe it's gourmet dining as long as high-quality ingredients are being used."

"Why, you little—"

"Thank you for sharing your most valuable opinion, but whatever you say carries no weight here." Orie says.