Don't Break. Don't.

Amber’s POV

We were looking around for survivors when it hit me. Tay. She was at the Hospital. “Hannah,” I say, tugging at her sleeve. “What Amber?” She says, and I say one word. “Tay,” and she runs me to the car, only to realize that the road is blocked. We have to run. I run in the direction of the hospital.

When the hospital finally comes into view, I am shocked by what I see. The corner of one of the buildings has partially collapsed, bricks and glass littering the ground around it. Then the realization hits me. That’s building A. The building that Tay is in.

Bits of shattered glass littered the ground beneath the half-crumbled building. I walked up to the wreckage wondering if Tay was alive, or if she was in the same state as the hospital; broken and shattered.

Terrified residents were exploring the debris, searching for survivors. Broken doors, stretchers, wheelchairs, machines, and other medical equipment by the destroyed corner of building A.

My heart thumped as I look at the destruction. Behind me, a radio is squeaking softly, a voice barely audible. “A 6.1 quake has hit the Encino area. Firefighters are being dispatched as we speak to search for survivors. So far 2 fatalities have been recorded. Let us pray for their families.” The radio goes silent, the man’s words ringing in my ears.

Maybe this is a dream, I thought. Yea, it’s totally a dream. You will wake up in a second. I pinched my arm. But I realized that the world around me, including the destruction, was very much real.

Sirens are heard from every direction, their noise silencing the world around me. The bright scarlet trucks pull in, people in suits flowing out of the doors.

They attacked the rubble, searching through to find survivors. I see them find a man, but my heart was solely on Tay. I stood in the same spot, unmoving. Then I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, and I turned to see Hannah.

I look back. I stare at the same spot, the same thought darting through my head:

Why not me.

~Three Days Later~

I sat at my desk, head hurting from despair. Three full days had passed since the quake, and Tay has still not been found. Seventy two excruciating hours of staring at the phone and wondering when it will ring.

But it still hasn’t. I haven’t spoken in two days. Kati tries to get me to speak, but...there are no words. Only thoughts, emotions, and fear. The abyss that I am swimming in feels infinite, always surrounding me like the air we breathe.

I hear a knock on my door. I keep staring at the phone. The door opens, and someone walks in, who I do not know for I am still staring at the machine in front of me. Then that someone turns my chair, revealing themselves. It was Raine.

Upon seeing my face, she gasped. “Amber...you look like you haven’t slept in...days…” She trailed off, remembering that I haven’t. She sat down on my neatly made bed, made by Hannah a couple of hours ago.

“I was the same, you know,” Reine says quietly. “Before my parents were found. I spent all my time alone, leaving to eat. But-but it wasn’t good for me. I lost 10 pounds from that week and a half.

“And I don’t want to see you go into that same misery that I did.” Her emerald green eyes looked deeply into mine with sympathy. I opened my mouth, then I closed it again. I wasn’t sure I knew how to speak anymore…

I opened my mouth and tried with all my might. “...T-Tay…” My voice was weak, cracked, shattered, broken, dead. Tears formed in my eyes, flooding my vision with blurry sight. Silence reigned.

“Don’t let yourself break. Don’t.” Raine placed a hand on my shoulder, and I looked at her through a glassy blur. Her words hit me like that car had on that day that seemed like forever ago. If they find Tay and I am broken… there might not be much of myself left.

I swallow my choked throat down. Raine hugs me, and I hug back, sorry to make her shirt wet. I pull back, wiping tears from my red cheeks, my arms aching from cramps.

Music begins to play from my desk. I turn and realize it is my phone. I grab it with shaky hands, tapping the green phone button. “H...Hello?”

“Hi Amber.” I stop dead in my tracks.

“T…...T-Tay?”

“I’m okay.” Tay’s voice shook with a hint of tears. “Y...You're okay?” I asked, unsure of myself. “Yes. Now look out your window.” I slowly walked over to the cracked window, peeling the curtains.

I almost dropped the phone.

Tay stood cluelessly in the driveway accompanied by her mother, phone in hand. I set down the phone, and Raine looked at me like I was crazy as I sprinted down the wooden steps and out the door.

I embraced my friend who had what seemed to be thousands of bruises and scratches, a bandage wrapped tightly around her left wrist. “Tay…” I spoke, happiness searing through my voice. “Amber.” She said, hugging be back.

Okay. So I am just going to talk. Don't say anything. Okay?

You know the Contest?

Well.....

You: PLEASE DON'T TELL ME-

I can't find a way to put them in yet.

You: *Pulls out machine gun* WHAT THE FREAK MAN I WORKED SO HARD AND SO DID MY FRIEND!

WOAH! OKAY, LETS NOT GO KILLING ME BEFORE I EXPLAIN.

You: *Keeps Machine gun trained on me*

Okayyyy.... So I had a whole plot WORKED OUT for this story at least two months ago. Not even joking there. I had PLANNED TO HAVE THAT CONTEST FOR SOME OF THE LAST CHAPTERS.

Then Tay came along. And I decided to make her fall out of a tree, then an earthquake happened... AND I JUST FREAKING REALIZED THAT THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER.

You: WHAT?!

HAHA! I GOT YOU! Lol no, because of my adding those things in, I simply feel that it would be best to move those chapters to the...

You: TO THE WHAT?!

Calm down now.

To The Sequel. Yes, I know. WHAT?! Yea. It sucks doesn't it? I JUST DON'T THINK THOSE CHAPTERS WILL FIT ANYMORE WITH THE STORY. THE PLOT WOULD NOT MAKE SENSE.

K?

So I would like to tell you, I WILL USE THOSE CHARACTERS. I PROMISE YOU. Just not until the sequel. I AM SORRY FOR THAT.

Please believe me when I say this: I TRIED AND TRIED to find a place for RIGHT NOW for you guys, but it doesn't WORK.

I am sorry also for Lack of Updates

I will try to update more tomorrow, but right now I am trying to do some stuff.

I ALSO HAD FREAKING WRITERS BLOCK.

ARGH.

Anywho, CONGRATZ TO @GeminiGaming for earning 2nd place in @GlimmerGirl's contest!

ALRIGHT I'M OUT. Questions? Comment. Hate? Don't. GOT IT?

DERP ON!

Bai All my Fellow Enders!

Join The EnderClan Today!

-♥EnderGirl26♥-