Arc 6-2: The Beloved Anti-Hero

CHAPTER 2: Too Fast!

The line into the city wasn't very long, and within seconds she was already at the gates.

The guards there give her an odd look before finally saying, "Identification please."

The Overseer frowns.

She's forgotten about their rules.

The guard notices her lack of response and sighs. "Fee?"

She shakes her head no. She has no money, even if she wanted to bribe him.

The guard suddenly takes out his sword and points it at her. "Don't move, you run away slave."

Slave!?

She was shocked.

Did she look like a slave???

Before she could retaliate a friendly voice from behind interjects. "Maybe I can pay for her?"

The Overseer glances behind her with surprise, only to see a man with freakishly long blue hair.

He wore a strange eerie smile, and his suit seemed quite out of place.

Still, she wasn't about to reject his offer, and so she allowed him to help her.

The man held his cane as he walks into the city with his carriage of goods behind.

After they were safely inside, the man turns to face her. "What are you doing here little dragon? You should know being around humans is dangerous." He places a gloved hand on her head in a comforting manner.

The Overseer only now noticed their size difference.

She seemed to be in the body of an undeveloped teen.

In fact looking at her reflection, she had little stubs as horns.

She truly was a young dragon.

The man sighs. "If you're curious about humans go back. If they knew what you were they would capture you, and torture you. To them, you are a priceless treasure."

The Overseer looks up at the tall man.

She had misjudged him.

He really was a good man. "Why did you help me?" Her voice was monotonous with a hint of childish splendor.

The man chuckles, tipping his hat in a gentlemanly fashion. "Because I'm not human." His grin suddenly became cruel. He gestures to the gates with his cane. "Now run away little dragon. Go back to your home. Your parents will be very angry with you."

The Overseer shakes her head no. "I have no parents. I am alone."

The man froze, looking surprised. "Don't tell me... you're a lost egg? My, how lucky. And one so young too."

The Overseer wasn't frightened off by his greedy eyes. "I can take care of myself. However sir, it would be nice having some help."