Arc 7-8: Yum, Brains!

CHAPTER 8: There's Something Else

Cole drags Claire outside to the courtyard where some soldiers were practising drills.

Claire looks at their joint hands, before moving to stare at his face. "That was quite a performance. What now?"

He suddenly shows her a carefree smile. One free of all shadows that he showed his father. "We relax. That performance should show him that I'm his son without a doubt. Without me even trying to convince him."

Suddenly Claire's eyes drift to a familiar figure on the courtyard. "Is that the female lead?"

Cole snaps his head over to the field.

A woman with brown shinning hair and sharp blazing eyes, ran around the field with sweat pouring down her face. Every so often a soldier would pat her on the back in encouragement as they ran together.

"It is Evelyn." He confirms.

She nods.

He suddenly excitedly pulls her towards a bench to watch them run. "You know what part of the plot we are in, right?"

Claire hesitantly meets his gaze. "The part where the ml would get bullied, right?"

"Bingo!" He grins. "Watching their interaction will help you learn something."

He happily pokes her cheek, pushing her gaze back towards the field.

Suddnly she spots the male lead.

His black hair was greasy, messy, covering a bit of his eyes. His glasses were oversized, as he wobbled past the field holding his stack of papers, looking timid.

Suddenly he stumbles over his own two feet, sending his books and papers flying towards the field the soldiers were running on.

The closest soldier frowns, barely stopping himself from tripping over the new obstacles. "Damn, watch it freak!!" He stops just to spit on the guy.

Other soldiers who were behind him also stop to jeer. "Haha what a weak piece of shit."

"A good for nothing. Absolutely useless!"

"Is he gonna cry!?"

They all laugh together.

Cole suddenly turns to face Claire. "What do you think he feels right now?"

Claire was taken aback by the question, but hurries to respond. "Upset. Weak. Useless. Perhaps even a little afraid or anxious."

He nods at her words. "Then what do you think Allessandro would do next?"

Claire laughs. "I obviously already know. What kind of question is-"

"Just answer the question. What will he do next?" Cole seemed serious.

His grave words cause the overseer to pause.

Is this a trick question?

She carefully thinks over her answer. "He'll endure it."