Pelli Koothuru and Pelli Koduku

Pelli Koduku and Pelli Koothuru ritual is a custom in Telugu wedding where the boy and girl's hair is oiled and are bathed by elders. After the bath, they are given new dresses and their foreheads are adorned with Kalyana Thilakam. 

For the Groom, the Kalyana Thilakam will look more like Venkateswara swamy's Naamam and the bride's though similar, will have a dot below signifying it as Lakshmi's thilakam

This is done as the bride and Groom are considered to be the Lord Narayana and Goddess Lakshmi themselves. Once they are properly made bride and groom, they are not allowed to eat last day's food, they are not supposed to do any work that involves getting dirty. they are considered as pure as the god and are respected so.

________________________________________________________________________________

Parthavi was groggily getting ready for the Pelli Koothuru event. Last night she was surrounded by her family women and confronted for meeting Raghunandhu like that, for which later Parthavi ran around chasing her three musketeers for getting her into trouble.

She brushed her teeth and came down wearing one of her old sarees. Once she was down, Prabha, Shakti, Swarajyam and other elderly women surrounded her and made her sit on a small chair. Bhoomi adjusted Parthavi's saree such that it will be easy for people to oil her and apply turmeric on her.

"Hey.. What are you doing?"

"Be quiet Parthavi.."

Prabha said and it was a unison decision that Swarajyam will be the one to oil Parthavi first being the eldest married women.

Swarajyam took some kumkum and kept it on Parthavi's forehead and then applied the powdered turmeric on her cheeks.

"Me Amma Nana kadupu sallaga, ninnu pelli koothuru ga choodalani aasapadda mee Avva thathalu kadupu sallaga, Nuvu velle inti deepam ayi, mogudu ki manchi thodu needavayi, aa illu kalakalaladedatu kaapuram cheyyali. Shatamanam Bhavati."

She blessed her as she applied a handful of oil on Parthavi's head.

"Peddamma.. The list is too long!"