Gauri Pooja

Gauri Pooja is done by the Bride before the Wedding for the well being. She is made to sit in a decorated Bamboo basket to do this Pooja because the bride is considered very special gift to the family of the Groom. 

After this, the Gothram, the clan of the bride is changed as to that of the Groom. There are no hymns or Chants for this in particular. But Usually people chant the Vedas that describe the Marriage of  Lord Sriman Narayana and Sridevi Lakshmi as the bride and groom are considered to be gods themselves in the Altar.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Pelli kumarthi.. Please get into the room where Gauri vigraham is ready for you and do the pooja. Mother of the bride, please come here for the Kalasa Pooja."

And Parthavi was being shoved inside a room which had the lamps, a decorated basket made of bamboo that was of her size and then a beautifully decorated Vigraham of Matha Gauri.

It was very beautiful that it sat perfectly right in the small pooja mandap in the room.

"Parthu, you have to sit inside the basket."

Bhoomi said and showed her the decorated Basket. It was decorated in red and yellow colors. It had nice mirrors around it.

"Excuse me!"

Parthavi said, frowning. Bhoomi chuckled.

"When I got married, you were so into your bro, Prithvi that you did not follow what was really happening, Parthu. This is Gauri Pooja. And that is Pelli Koothuru Gampa/Butta."

"I know all those Bhoomi. But why should I sit in the basket. Even in your wedding I asked the question and no one had time to answer and later, I did not question given my exams."

Harshita opened the door and Prabhavathy followed her with a Kalasam, a small decorated pitcher that was covered with a cloth and a Mangalasutram tied around it.

"Amlu, you are not into the butta yet?"

She asked, keeping the Kalasam near the Gauri vigraham.

"Athaiyya, she is asking why she should sit in the Butta."

Prabhavathy shook her head and asked Parthavi to forward her hand. Frowning, Parthavi forwarded her hands and Prabhavathy placed a mixture of Jaggery and Jeera in both of her palms and closed it.

"You are being given to the Groom, Amlu. You are a gift."

Prabhavathy said.

"And Gifts should be well wrapped before being presented."

Harshita said and gave a five to Bhoomi giggling. Parthavi was still frowning.

"Amlu, I know what you are thinking. You are human. Right! But we are giving the daughter of our house to another house as a daughter so that she can take the clan forward. So you are indeed a precious gift."

Prabhavathy said and kept a black dot over the already present one on her cheek to ward off evil eyes.

"Now, Parthu, get inside the Butta and start with the Pooja. Athaiyya you might be called now."

Bhoomi said, helping Parthavi inside the basket.

"I just came to keep the Kalasam here before she starts the pooja. I have to rush back to give Daanam to Alludu."

Prabhavathy said and rushed back outside.

"Parthu, keep that Jeeraka Bellam on your lap and now take the Kumkum and do as I say."