Kashi Yatra

Kashi Yatra is a fun filled ritual in Indian wedding. In this the Groom who has just returned from Gurukul for wedding, gets jittery seeing his life changing around him and feeling his control slipping away, plans to travel to Kashi. Kashi is the place of spiritual importance in our custom where people wash away their sins, meditate to get close to the lord almighty.

So when the groom, walks to Kashi, the father of the bride stops him midway and asks him to return and promises the hand of his daughter in marriage. He persuades him to take Gruhastam(Family life) opposed to brahmacharyam(celibacy) and how his daughter the epitome of good qualities will stand by him and let him see the path to the lord through family life.

In modern days this ritual is just followed as fun, because imagine a techie of today walking in flip flops with a walking stick, bamboo hand fan and coconuts walking under umbrella dressed in Dhoti, to Kashi. 

Hope you enjoy this update.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Parthavi was sleeping with Vasudhara, Bhoomi and Dhitvi who had collapsed on each other and were sleeping in a heap.

Parthavi smiled as her sleep was slowly ebbing away and her thoughts wandered to last night after they said Good nights.

"Ahemm.."

Parthavi who was on the way to her room turned and cleared her throat. Raghunandhu stopped in his tracks smiling and turned to the call.

They closed the distance between them and Raghunandhu looked at Parthavi and his brows furrowed.

"What happened Parthavi?"

"I.. Well.."

She stammered.

"I thought we had passed that phase where we were hesitant to share our thoughts to each other Parthavi. What is it? Tell me. Don't let it eat you up from the inside."

Parthavi was still playing with the edge of her saree pallu and her eyes mirrored her tension.

Smiling Raghunandhu caught her hands that were pulling and twisting and twirling the pallu and brought it near his lips.

"Cheppeyi Parthavi."

He urged in his soft voice that gave her the strength to put forward her worries.

"Er.. Emm.. I.. Do you mind if I work after marriage?"

Raghunandhu blinked for a moment and then threw back his head and laughed. A laughter that had Parthavi mesmerised.

"Parthavi! When did I ever say that you were going to sit at home and waste away in Kitchen. You are going to work. If you want you can manage our firm too. You see I am just M. Arch and not MBA."

"You are managing it well. But before I join you, I want to work outside. Just for experience."

"It's your decision Parthavi. Whatever gave you the idea that I will stand against this wish of yours? Haven't I told you that I would like my wife to be herself. Her independent self."

"Leduuu.. Mahika Akka is not working kada? Her designs are good. She only got all my wedding blouses ready. But.."

Raghunandhu shook his head sadly.

"Vathina's parents could not afford to give her education in Fashion designing. Vathina's speciality was ethnic wears. But circumstances.. She was working as one of the tailors in a textile shop. Annaiyya actually fell in love with the way she carried herself despite all those. He used to leave early from home just to get a glimpse of her walking to her workplace. We found out and got them married. Annaiyya many times asked her to complete her education. But she was stubborn."