Mangalyadharanam

Mangaladharanam is when the groom ties the Mangalasutram around the bride's neck. This is done in a very auspicious time and this ties the bride and groom and the families together for life.

Mangalyadharanam though was not a part of our culture in olden times, it came into practice later and it is an accepted norm

_____________________________________________________________________________________

There was a rain of Akshadalu, the yellow colored rice that showered on Raghunandhu and Parthavi as they looked at each other with their hands on their heads holding the Jeeraka Bellam.

"Good, we wanted you both to do the same. But that you are both already doing that.."

Abhrathrugneem varunapathigneem bruhaspathe

Indhra puthrigneem lakshyam thamasyai savithassuva

The Priests chanted the hymn and explained its meaning.

"This is to give prosperity to the bride's family as the Lakshmi of the house is moving to another home and blessings for the bride for the progress of her new family and blessings for good offsprings."

Aghora chakshor

Chatushpade

"Oh blessed bride, look into your husband. And keep your kind eyes on his family. Have a long happy married life, bring them prosperity, bless them with children who will be appreciated and be the light and brightness of your new home in a way that god will appreciate you."

With their palms on each other's head, they kept looking at each other and there was a smile that was frozen to their lips.

"My dear bride and groom, you can remove your hands now."

Narasimha Shastry said and they both removed their hands so fast that everyone was laughing loud.

"Vadileyandi Shastry garu. Let them see each other! Pandu has been complaining since morning to see his bride. But Amma strictly denied. This fellow has eaten up my ear drums and brain with his Parthavi japam."

Everyone laughed again as Bhargava shook his head with his ears closed.

"You should learn from your brother."

Mahika said, giggling, making Raghunadhu immediately look down as his ears turned red.

"Good good!"

Sundaramudu said.

"If they keep seeing this way, we might never complete this marriage."

He said with a very serious face.

"Thathayya?"

Parthavi chided.

"Shh.. Parthamma, you should not speak! Shastry.. Hmm"