Kanyadaanam

Kanyadaanam is the important ritual in an Indian Wedding. It means giving away of the bride. 

Jeeraka Bellam used in the wedding is significant for the way paste is made. Jeera, is bitter in taste while Jaggery is sweet. When these two are grounded together, they make a paste that is sticky and inseparable. It signifies how the relationship between the bride and groom should be in future.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Pelli Kumara, hold out your suvarna and rajata yagnopaveetham out."

Shankaram said. Raghunandhu held the gold and silver thread that he was wearing across his torso.

"Remove it and hold it out with one palm up and other facing down."

Narasimha Shastry said and helped him to do it properly.

"Now Father of the bride, hold the tuli yagnopaveetham like he is holding."

Shankaram Shastry said and helped Hariharan hold the cotton thread in the proper way.

"Now, Pelli Kumara, hand over those Suvarna and Rajata Yagnopaveetham to me and take the Tuli one from your Father In Law and hold it as it is."

Raghunandhu followed every instruction with so much attention and perfection. Shankaram, Narasimha Shastry and other priests chanted the Veda mantras for the groom to accept the grihastha life.

"Now wear it like you wore the other two."

Raghunandhu wore it across the torso and then kept Gandham and Kumkuma to it and poured three drops of water on it.

"Now, a person from Groom's side and a person from Bride's side, please hold this Thera(Screen) in front of the pelli kumarudu."

Vedmohan and Srinivas came up to hold Thera.

"You have to hold it in a way that they don't get to sneak around. Go it?"

Everyone laughed as Raghunandhu pouted.

"Don't worry. We will be very strict!"

Srinivas said and glared at Raghunandhu.

"Rei Sreenu.."

Srinivas shook his head.

"I begged even worse when I got married. But did you budge? You thick headed saale!"

"Rei rei.."

But Srinivas turned away like an angry bride making everyone laugh.

"Please get the Pelli Kumarthi here!"

The priests had to take a mic to get their voices heard.

Vedmohan and Srinivas who looked at the entrance, stood taken.

"Rei rei.. What is happening? You both are standing with mouths open as if you are going to swallow a whole elephant!!!"

Raghunandhu was becoming restless. His mother chuckled.

"Patience Nandu!"

She said.

"Pelli Kumara, you should be silent!"

Narasimha Shastry said.

Shivaprasad, Krishnudu, Sainath, Srinath, Matheysh and Pritvi carried Parthavi through the balcony and brought her to Altar through the entrance.

The moment they entered the hall, everyone present there except for the groom and family stood up in respect to the bride.

Parthavi was brought to the altar and the uncles settled her on the seat besides her parents.