•Chapter 3•

***Lauren's POV***

I like proving people wrong when it comes to my dream of being in the Olympics. After proving to Michael part of what I'm capable of with my routine he didn't question my ability or dream again.

Everyone was now over at Luke's house for the barbeque, Luke's house was right next door to the left of my house in the cul de sac, then it was Ashton's in the middle and then Michael's across the street of the other side, while Calum's was next door to Michael's on the road leading into the cul de sac. Everyone was engulfed in conversations sitting around the big outdoor table.

"Foods ready." Mr. Hemmings said and everyone walked up grabbing a plate, placing burgers, potato salad and other sides on their plates.

The moms, my aunt, kids and teens sat at the table while Luke's dad and my uncle stood around talking. Luke and Ashton sat on either side of me and Calum and Michael sat across from me. Michael kept looking at me like he was trying to figure me out or something, it was a little creepy, and if he thinks that he's going to figure me out by staring at me it was going to take him awhile.

"So where are you from?" Mrs. Hood asked for either me, Andrew or Emily to answer.

"Boston." Emily said. "But we mainly lived in Washington D.C. for most of our lives."

"Well Lauren was born in Boston and then we were born in D.C." Andrew said adding further detail to Emily's answer.

"Why did you live in D.C.?" Mrs. Irwin asked.

"Our mom was in the military." I told her. "So the government provided us housing in D.C. but then we had to move back to Boston a few years ago."

"Why's that?" Mrs. Clifford asked. I froze; I looked up from my plate of food towards Andrew and Emily who were frozen too.

"Because our mom died..." I said quietly and then everyone froze and looked at us clearly not prepared for that bomb shell, no pun intended to how my mom died.

"Oh my god what happened?" Mrs. Hemmings asked the question everyone undoubtedly wanted to know.

"She . . ." I hesitated. "She died in Afghanistan three years ago from a bomb hidden in a house she was searching."

Michael looked at me with a blank expression clearly not ready for that answer. Everyone was quiet so I continued. "The government took away our house because no one else in our family was in the military, so the three of us along with our dad had to move back to Boston."

"So why did you move here? What about your dad?" Ashton asked.

I sat there looking down at my food not wanting to answer the question. The memories' flooding back of the endless beatings and endless pain that man has caused me.

"Lauren, aren't you going to answer the question?" my aunt asked me. My aunt was very keen on politeness so not answering was not okay with her. I gave her a look begging her not to have me tell them.

"Lauren you tell them or I will" Aunt Sue said.

"It isn't really your choice to tell people our life story, who we just meet a few hours ago." I argued back.

"Lauren stop being childish, they are our neighbors, now answer the question." She scolded me.

"Seriously?" I asked annoyed "It was my life, after all the pain he put me through, did it ever occur to you I'm not ready to talk about it?" I added and stood up from my seat and left.

How could she do that! I don't care if she is my legal guardian now she has no right to tell or force me to tell people my life story. I've been down this road to many times to get angry or upset about it. I walked back into my yard and hopped onto my new trampoline, knowing this would be my best distraction.

After a few minutes of practicing flips I could feel someone watching me. As I stopped I could see Michael leaning against the post of the fence dividing mine and Luke's yard. The sun was setting and it was getting dark, but it was still light enough that I could tell it was him.

"So let me get this straight." He began as he started walking towards me. "Your mom died and was forced to move to Boston then something happened with your dad and moved from America to live here. You have trust issues; don't like taking about your past or yourself what so ever. Oh and let's not forget you have a love for gymnastics."

"Congratulations. It sounds like you have me figured out."

"No I wouldn't say that." He said as he leaned against the edge of the trampoline

"Well then what would you say?" I asked him folding my arms.

"I would say you're a lost, misleading, confused girl who again has trust issues. Had a rough life and needs to settle down and realize that the only people who are willing and going to help her are the people around her. No matter how long she's known them for." He explained to me.

I was taken aback by this. No one has ever offered to help me before. Let alone take so much interest in me.

"There's no point in helping me Michael I'm a lost cause." I said sitting next to wear he leaned against the trampoline.

"I wouldn't say that either." He responded. Oh for Christ sakes what does he mean by that. Could he just be straight forward and ask me what he wants to know about me?

"Well then what do want to know Michael?" I asked starting to get annoyed. However, I must admit I was curious to why he was so interested in me; I have an idea because he hasn't been able to take his eyes off me since we meet.

"Everything" He answered.

"You're going to have to be more specific than that." I lightly laughed. "That's a broad question for someone who wants to know so much about me."

"Oh so you're a smartass too?" he laughed.

"Only when I need to be." I shrugged.

"Of course." He chuckled. A silence grew between us after a few minutes before he spoke again.

"What happened between you and your dad?" he asked.

"It's a sore topic to talk about." I told him, rubbing my arms where bruising and scars were present that I managed to keep hidden.

"You can trust me Lauren, I won't hurt you." He said placing a hand on my leg.

"It involves a lot of back story to fully understand what happened." I explained to him.

"Oh don't worry about that. I have plenty of time."