•Chapter 29•

Playlist:

Do or Die- Thirty Seconds to Mars

Up in the Air- Thirty Seconds to Mars

***Lauren's POV***

"This is it. You ready?" Brendan asked me as we stood in the tunnel to enter the arena gym floor.

"More than ever." I said shaking my hands like I had water on them, trying to get loose.

February 20th, Day 1 of Australian Olympic Gymnastics Team trials. Today's activity: Vault.

They had these coming six days set up with one activity a day, so today the only event every girl would be participating in is Vault and each girl would be given three chances to show their three best routines they prepared. There were a lot of girls trying out, but they calculated that for the next four days (Feb 20-23) each girl will have three opportunities to show their routines on each event. Then the two days after that (Feb 24-25) it will be run like a real competition and every girl will have two chances to run through each event. Then on the 26th is results day. So it basically looked like this:

February 20th: Vault

February 21st: Balance Beams

February 22nd: Uneven Bars

February 23rd: Floor Exercise

February 24th: one run through every event

February 25th: second run through every event

February 26th: Results

"This isn't going to be your average competition Lauren; this is going to be a lot harder physically and mentally. They're going to be judging you on every little thing and nit-pick you and your routines to the bone." Brendan reminded me.

"I know." I said taking a deep breath.

"Oh and let's not forget that it's all in front of a crowd too." Brendan added.

"Brendan are you purposely trying to make me nervous?" I chuckled.

"Oh sorry."

"It's okay." I laughed.

"Gymnasts line up please." Someone yelled into the crowded hallway of girls so they could get us in alphabetical order and we could enter the gymnastics arena.

"Any last minute advice?" I asked him.

"Have fun." He said to me. "I know you want this so bad Lauren, but make sure you have fun and enjoy the experience more than anything."

"Will do." I said, I took off my mom's combat jacket and handed it to Brendan so I was in my black and red leotard. I walked over so I was on line and they started rearranging everyone.

There were so many girls, how am I going to beat all these girls for one of the five spots on the team? I thought. Don't think like that, you can do this. I reassured myself.

"Overwhelming isn't it?" a voice came from behind me. I turned around found a girl my age who was wearing a purple and white leotard and had her brunette hair pulled back in a tight bun like mine.

"I would say more surreal." I commented.

"Yeah that's a good word to use." She chuckled. "I'm Grace." She added since they were still trying to get all the girls in line.

"Lauren." I told her.

"You wouldn't happen to be Lauren Jacobs would you?" she asked me.

"Um, yes." I said. "Why do you ask?"