•Chapter 19•

***Lauren's POV***

Competing in Worlds always seemed like a faraway dream just like the Olympics, but being here completing against other top gymnasts was just a taste of what it will be like in the Olympics.

I must admit though it is very overwhelming, but nothing is greater than being known as World Champion on floor exercises. I still feel like I'm on cloud 9, knowing that the judges who will take off any deduction you could think of, like having my bra strap showing and could deduct me for not likening my song choices, actually like my routines and makes it so much more better. Then getting second on uneven bars makes everything so much sweeter! (Even if I didn't get gold) I'm getting my name out there, proving that I'm a real threat for the Olympics.

Then on top of all this I get to share this experience with my best friend ever makes all the more special!

**Earlier that week**

"Lauren you have to go register over there." Aunt Sue pointed out as my family walked into the arena along with the other girls from my gym and their families.

My aunt and I have somewhat made up from our argument about her basically not believing in me. It's still awkward between us, but I know she's some of the only family I have left and I've lost too many people in my life to let her go. As mad as I am at her, I need her.

As we started walking towards registration, I was too busy talking to the other girls in my gym to watch where I was going and walked into another gymnast.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologized grabbing the girls arm to hold her up from falling down. As she gained her balance I couldn't help but notice something strangely familiar about her.

"It's okay." The girl said turning towards me pushing her long dark brunette hair out of her face and I immediately recognized her.

"Oh my god Lauren!" the girl shouted recognizing me as well.

"Dominique!" I mimicked her surprise and we threw our arms around each other.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Why do you think I'm here? I'm here to compete!"

"Right DUH, stupid question." I laughed.

Dominique has been my friend for years. In fact before I moved to Australia she was my only friend, well along with her boyfriend Garrett, we were all friends but the two of them always had a thing for each other. Anyway Dominique's dad and my mom we in the same troop over in Afghanistan, so we were neighbors and went to the same school back when we still lived in Washington D. C. We started gymnastics and dance classes together and have been competing ever since.

When my mom died Dominique's dad was injured on the same mission, apparently my mom saved him or something. I still don't know the whole story to what happened to my mom; all we know is that she was killed from an explosion or at least that's what I assume what must have happened. The mission was classified so they couldn't tell my family and Dominique's dad isn't allowed to utter one word about the mission so I'll never know.

Dominique knew about my dad and what he did to me because the beatings started when we were still in D. C. then we would video chat, text and call each other all the time when I moved back to Boston and I had no one to talk too.

"How long are you going to be here for?" I asked

"Two weeks." She smiled.

"That's long enough to stay for my birthday!" I exclaimed.

"I know, that's why we planned to stay an extra week." A deep vice said from behind me. Turning around I faced Mr. Carter, Dominique's dad. Seeing him I immediately thought of my mom, but I pushed the though aside being too happy to see my best friend.

"Happy early birthday kid." He said ruffing up my hair with his hand and gave me a hug.

"Look at you!" he exclaimed. "You look just like your mom. You know minus the blue hair and piercings." He chuckled.

"Thanks." I smiled, blushing since I was told that often by anyone who meat or knew my mom. Mr. Cater was more like a dad to me than my dad ever was and actually treated me like I was another daughter to him as well.

"You know what this means, right?" I asked turning back to Dominique.

"What?" she asked confused.

"That you're not only going to be here for Christmas and my birthday! You're also going to get your butt kicked this week!" I laughed.

"Oh I'd like to see you try Jacobs." She laughed, making our old jokes, talking like we've seen each other every day instead of years.

I missed this so much.