•Chapter 25•

Playlist:

Who You Are- Jessie J

This Is Gospel (piano version)- Panic! At the Disco

Warrior- Demi Lovato

***

My first Christmas Eve and birthday in Australia and I have everyone closest to me there. Aunt Sue and Uncle Tom are having a Christmas Eve/Birthday party for me, and they invited Michael, Luke Calum and Ashton along with their families and Dominique and her family and Geordie too. Geordie has been really cool about me and Michael, she really isn't mad or upset about it, she's still my best friend and thinks that Michael and I are a better match together than they ever were. Besides her and Ethan are a couple now too and she's never looked happier.

After finding out this morning about becoming an Australian citizen it has caused for an even bigger celebration. Everyone congratulating me and everything; the only thing is, Ashton's upset that he can't call me America anymore now that I've become an Australian citizen. Even though he still could call me that since both countries allow dual citizenship so I'm still American too.

***

It's still somewhat light out, only starting to get dark. Everyone's stilling in the living room eating pizza having a good time, laughing and singing. It's been so long since I've had a Christmas when I've been happy.

I was standing in the kitchen getting another slice of pizza when two arms wrapped around me from behind.

"Are you having a fun birthday?" Michael asked me.

"The best I've had in years. The only thing that could make this better is if there was snow." I smiled.

"Yeah I can't help you with that." He laughed as he kissed my cheek.

"Well would you look at that?" Michael said looking up.

"What?" I asked looking to where his gaze was and sure enough he was holding a small bunch of mistletoe.

"I mean we might as well, we are standing underneath it." He grinned. I just rolled my eyes and kissed him.

"Why do I even call you my boyfriend?" I asked him, pulling away.

"Because you love me and think I'm incredibly cute."

"Yeah that's why." I laughed making my way back into the living room to take a spot on the couch, Michael taking the one next to mine and wrapped an arm around me as we all watched mine, Ashton's and Dominique's younger siblings open early Christmas presents.

"Lauren it's your birthday why don't you open something!" Dominique pointed out and everyone agreed.

"No, no it's fine." I protested not wanting to make a big deal.

"Come on open one." Calum said.

"Fine" I said giving in and Emily handed me a present that was set to the side with others that were for my birthday. I was just about to open it when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it." Aunt Sue said as she got up to answer it. I could hear light mumbles and a minute later she walked back into the room, followed by two men in American military uniform, one was holding a big box and the other was holding an envelope and two small velvet boxes. Everyone became very quiet.

Instantly my mind shot back to three years ago today when I answered the door to our house back in Washington to find military officers there to inform us that our mom had died. What could it possibly be this time? What more could the damn military take from me now? A million questions started running through my head, wondering why the hell they are here.