Chapter Twelve: Where Your Secrets Hide

Thursday, September 19th, 2:35pm

We pull into Adrian's driveway, his house compared to mine is a mansion. Two stories, large front porch, well I guess I mean that he has a porch, I don't even have one. The garden is filled with flowers and the grass is actually green.

I got out of the car followed by Adrian, I wait until he heads towards his house and follow him up to the porch. He stops to get mail out from the mail box. I'm surprised he gets mail, I don't even have a mail box. I have a front step.

Adrian opens the door and lets me walk in first which I do despite how awkward it feels.

"I think my parents are still home, but they should be going out soon." Adrian says.

"Cool."

As Adrian takes off his hoodie and places it on the bench by the door, I look around to take in how big his house is. For goodness sake he has a spiral staircase! I've always wanted to slide down the railing of a spiral staircase.

"We can go to the Kitchen, my parents will probably be there and most likely they'll want to meet you."

I don't know why they'd want to meet me. I'm not the most loved person in this town, not to mention I do not fit the whole rich aesthetic this house has, but I nod, "Sure."

When we walk into the Kitchen I don't notice his parents right away, instead I notice that Adrian has a pool in his back yard. I want a pool.

Once I stop staring into his back yard I look to my left to see his parents standing at an island mumbling to each other.

I can't help, but notice how much Adrian looks like his Dad, they could be the same person.

"Mom." Adrian says, no response.

"Dad."

"What son!?" His Dad asks aggressively. Maybe their personalities are the only different thing about them.

"My friend is here." Adrian says.

Oh so we're friends now? Just because we made out dude doesn't mean we're friends. But honestly I don't really care.

Both his parents turn to look at me. I can already tell that they are stuck up, very different from Adrian.

"Oh hello." His Mom smiles as she looks me up and down.

It's obviously not what she would expect, especially the bralette.

Adrian's Dad reaches out and shakes my hand, "Nice to meet you I'm Matthew, this is Linda."

"Hi," I smile awkwardly, "Maggie." I nod awkwardly before scratching the back of my neck.

"Are you going out soon?" Adrian asks.

"Yes we were just about to leave, but what are you kids going to be up to tonight?" Linda asks.

"Uh... School project for English class." Adrian scratches the back of his neck.