Chapter Thirty-Five: Breathe

Thursday, October 17th, 4:30pm

Jade and I rush into the Police Station. I look around to see Maggie standing while Adrian and Oscar are sitting down.

"We have to get to the police station."

"Why?"

"Conner was just arrested for killing Kian."

I walk over to all of them, "What's going on?" I ask.

Maggie turns around to look at me, her eyes low. She looks paler than normal, her arms are wrapped around her waist.

"Why was Conner arrested for Kian's murder?" I ask.

Maggie looks back at Adrian, then back at me and still doesn't answer.

"Are any of you going to answer the question?" Jade asks.

"They found steroids that Kian allegedly gave Conner." Maggie says.

"And is that all?" I ask.

Adrian stands up and shuffles to stand beside Maggie, "They arrested him right in the middle of the pep rally. They found the murder weapon in his locker..."

Adrian keeps talking, but my mind blocks him out. My ears fill with a stinging high pitch buzz. My head spins as more words fly out of Adrian's mouth. I feel like I'm going to fall over with everything I'm hearing, my heart feels like it's going to fall out of my chest.

Maggie licks her lips, "It can't be true, Conner wouldn't do something like this. Kian was his best friend and someone has to be framing-"

"You haven't been her for the past two years Maggie! You don't know Conner anymore! You don't know the dynamic him and Kian had, you don't know anything that is actually happening you just think you do!" I snap.

Maggie's face drops, I know she's only trying to help, but everything else is clouding my judgment and all I care about is talking to Conner.

Adrian looks back over to Maggie then back to me, "We just need to talk to the Detective and see-"

"No! I need to talk to Conner!"

"Ace maybe now it's the best-"

I turn over to Jade, my lip quivers, "I need to talk to Conner." I say as calmly as I possibly can.

I turn full around to see Detective Lana, I walk over to her and tap her on her shoulder. She whips around and looks at me.

"Ace what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to him. I need to talk to Conner."

"We just called your parents about it, maybe you should wait till they're here-"

"No. Let me talk to him, now." I demand.

Detective Lana nods, I follow her down a long hallway.