Chapter Twenty-One: Let Me Down Slowly

Wednesday, October 2nd, 7:30am

I splash water at my face quickly wiping it off before I look at myself in the mirror.

"I got this." I mumble.

I breath out, "I don't think I got this."

I turn and open the bathroom door and walk out to the Kitchen where my Dad is sitting eating a bowl of cereal.

"Morning." He says.

"Morning." I mumble as I walk over to the kettle still shaky from last night.

I try to focus on the water boiling, the loud rumbling coming from the machine in front of me, but my eyes keep darting elsewhere. I rub my hands across my forehead and take a deep breath.

"Are you okay, Mags? Last night you seemed a little jittery."

I turn and face my Dad, "Why wouldn't I be fine. I'm always fine." I panic.

"Are you sure? You can always talk to-"

"I'm fine Dad. Just gotta get to School." I say.

I walk past the table and over to the front door.

"Don't you want your tea?" He turns around and asks.

"Uh no. I don't know why I turned the kettle on, umm I've got to go." I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Bye."

I walk out the door with my bag in hand and over to my motorcycle. Once I sit down I stare at the meter for what feels like an hour when in reality it was probably only a couple of seconds.

I finally get enough nerve to start the engine and ride off down the street to School.

As I walk into the School I feel as if I'm getting transported back to two years ago. My vision starts to blur with what's real and what's not. I stop walking down the hallway and lean up against a locker closing my eyes.

"Last night was fun."

"Fun? You call that fun?"

"Oh come on you loved it."

"No. I didn't. I'm telling Conner about what happened and-"

"You're not telling anyone."

"Why not you can't control m-"

"Yeah actually I can because I'll tell everyone that you were just asking for it. I can twist this all on you, Maggie. I can make it look like you were so drunk that you wanted to sleep with me and make it look like you cheated on Conner."

"And you know who they'll believe, not you. Me, because I'm their star basketball player who can never do any wrong."

"You can't just-"