Chapter Twenty-Three: Must Have Been The Wind

****TRIGGER WARNING: for anyone who has a hard time with topics such as sexual assault, skim over this chapter or don't read it at all!!!!!*****

Wednesday, October 2nd, 4:50pm

I've been sitting outside of Dark Treasure for the past two hours trying to decide whether or not I should go and talk to Maggie.

It was obvious that something was going on with her today. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, but I knew something was off and the way she snapped at me just clarified my suspicion. She seemed to snap at me that time she was tutoring me for Science as well.

I sit at a table with my elbows resting atop the table and my two pointer fingers put together by my nose while the rest of my fingers as folded together. I stare forwards at the empty table.

I want to move, but my body is telling me to wait a bit longer.

Screw it.

I get up from the table and go to my car. I start the engine and stare at the wheel. Where would Maggie live, where would her house be.

I pull out of the parking lot and drive over to the poorer side of town. If I'm being honest I've never been on this side since I've lived in Misthill. I've never wanted to go over, but I'm pretty sure Maggie lives on this side.

I drive down the really twisted street and look in every driveway for a motorcycle. I slow down as I approach house number 16. There's a motorcycle sitting in a small driveway, it's clearly Maggie's bike.

I pull in front of her house. I step out onto the very tall brown grass. I clap my hands together and slowly look around while nodding my head up and down slightly.

Quickly I take in a deep breath before walking up to the front door.

The door is a very pale blue almost white. Some of the paint is chipped off showing an ugly brown colour. I quickly knock on the door and take a step back.

The door opens a crack before opening all the way.

Before Maggie says anything I notice how tired she looks. Her eyes are red and puffy, along with her nose. She looks smaller than normal and I can't tell if it's because she's wearing a baggy sweater or not.

"Why are you here?" Maggie sniffles.

"I'm not trying to be your boyfriend, I'm just trying to be a friend who is checking up on another friend to see how they are." I smile.

"Can I come in?"

"Uh... sure." Maggie nods and moves out of the way.

I step inside her house and take a quick look around. Right away I notice a couple of random beer bottles scattered around the floor.

"Don't mind the beer bottles they're my Dads." Maggie practically whispers.

Did she read my mind or something? "It's okay." I smile.