Chapter Forty: Beloved

Saturday, October 26th, 1:00pm

Only one more hour till I have to go and pick Maggie up from her house. I'm nervous, really nervous. I keep reminding myself that we've hung out with each other before, what's the difference now right? It's the label of a date that's making me nervous.

I walk into the Kitchen to see my Mom and Dad whispering aggressively to one another in the corner. It's the sixth time this week that I've walked in on them doing that.

My Mom looks over to me, "What's with you wearing hoodies recently?"

"Um... it's fall?"

I walk past both of them and open the cupboard, I turn and look back at both of them, "Everything good? You two are staring at me like you've seen a ghost."

"Everything is fine, I just have to get back to work." My Dad says moving away from my Mom and walking out of the Kitchen.

I assume I just walked into one of their many arguments, they've been doing it a lot lately and it's always in the Kitchen, they are always whispering and it's always happening in front of the sink. I'm scared that I'm gonna walk into the Kitchen one time and someone is going to be stuck in the sink... head first.

I'd rather not bring up all of their fighting because I have a feeling it wouldn't end well... I'd end up in the middle of it. I've been there before and I don't want to be there again.

"Are you going out today?" My Mom asks, walking over to the fridge.

"Yeah I am, I'm going out with Maggie... on a date."

My Mom's whole body freezes, "Oh... why?" She turns around to face me.

"Because I like her and I asked her on a date. Why else would I go on a date with her?"

"You asked her on the date?"

"Um... yeah."

"I just didn't think she was your type." She gives an awkward smile.

"You don't know my type." I purse my lips.

"Well I just didn't think she would be your type, with... all the clothing? Choices... she has." My Mom blinks rapidly.

I tilt my head to the right, "What?"

"She very... showy."

I raise my eyebrow, "Have you seen any of the other girls at my School?"

My Mom takes a deep breath, "Just have fun, just have fun." She repeats while turning around.

I turn and shuffle out of the Kitchen before she explodes. I wasn't even able to grab the pretzels I wanted.

......

I pull up to Maggie's house. I'm about to get out of the car when her front door opens, Maggie walks out and gives me a really awkward smile, she quickly turns around.