Chapter Seventeen: The Sound Of Silence

Thursday, September 26th, 2:10pm

Silence. I hate it.

The word.

The non existent sound.

The only thing that breaks it is the ring of the ticking by clock in my ears.

Silence is worse than noise.

The small beads of sweat sitting on the back of my neck, making me nervous, making me sweat even more and makes me even more nervous.

The never ending cycle.

"Adams."

"Adams."

My head snaps to my right to see Maggie and Adrian looking down at me.

"You good, bud?" Adrian asks, "You were fazed out for almost the whole class."

"I was? I must be tired." I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Well your coming to work on the paper for a bit right? We still need to come up with this weeks issue and investigate Kian." Adrian says.

"But you don't have to." Maggie adds as she turns towards the door and start to walk away.

"No, I'm good to come," I smile, "I'll meet you guys down there."

Adrian nods before turning around following Maggie out the door.

I put my binder into my backpack and quickly fling it over my shoulder. I get up and hurry out of the classroom and down the hallway.

I run down the stairs through the herds of people almost tripping on the last step.

I get to the Newspaper and calmly walk through the door as if I didn't just run down four flights of stairs.

"You got down here fast." Maggie says.

"Yup." I smile while trying not to breath heavily.

I place my bag onto the ground before sitting down at the long table beside Adrian.

Adrain claps his hands together, "Okay what is going to be in the papers issue this week?"

Maggie leans back in her chair as she puts her feet onto the table, "We could write about how stupid it was to have a half day on a Monday."

"That was pretty weird." I agree.

I pull out a piece of paper and a pencil jotting down our ideas.

"Is the School celebrating something for Halloween? We could write an early segment about it." Maggie suggests.

"The only thing that this School does is have kids dress up, so I really doubt it will be any different this year." I say.

"We haven't put in the Basketball tryouts yet, that could be a part of it." Adrian shrugs.