Chapter Sixteen: Wake Up

Monday, September 23rd, 11:35am

Trying to find the right time to say something is always the hardest thing to do. Especially when you are trying to confront your Dad about faking your Mom's signature to send your brother 1080 miles away.

I pace around the Living room, it's been three hours since School started. It would be lunch by now. I couldn't bring myself to go today after everything that happened at the funeral yesterday, I can't face her knowing that she knew what happened and never said anything.

But in this moment I'm really wishing I had went to School because it is 11, almost 12 and my Dad still isn't awake.

I keep pacing back and forth. I stop and walk into the Kitchen. I pull out a cup from one of the cupboards and fill it with water.

I rush down the hallway to my Dad's bedroom stopping in the doorway to see him lying on his bed fully asleep snoring like a truck. I walk over to the side of the bed and dump the water all over his face.

He flings up from the bed shaking his head again, "What?! What happened!"

He turns to face me, "Why aren't you at School?" He asks.

"I need to talk to you."

......

My Dad sits down on the couch with a towel draped around his neck.

I throw the papers onto the coffee table, "Why did you fake Mom's signature!?" I shout.

My Dad looks down at the paper for a couple of seconds not saying anything. His whole body looks tense, I swear he's sweating. He picks up the paper, it shakes in his hand he moves his other hand to steady the paper taking a long look at it for quite a bit before speaking, "Where- Where did you find this?" He asks.

"In my closet. You think I just move out and you can shove all your shit into my room and not expect me to find it!?" I shout again.

"I didn't expect you to come back." My Dad admits.

I kneel down to the ground so I'm at eye level with him, "Why. Why did you fake it?"

"I can't-"

"Dad, please. I need to know why you thought this was a good idea. To send him away for one, and for two, to fake Mom's signature!"

My Dad rubs his hands across his facing taking in a deep breath, "Your brother was dangerous, Maggie. Your Mom couldn't see that, but I could and I knew she wouldn't approve so I had to do it."

"I don't get it though, why couldn't you have sent him to a closer place. So Mom could have at least visited him. So I! Could have visited him!"

"Like I said, your brother was dangerous." My Dad says calmly.

"No, he wasn't. It was my fault!"