Chapter Twenty Seven

That's What She Said.

Anna

"Go faster!" Coach Taylor yells at us as we run. That's what she has been doing for the last fifteen minutes.

"That's what she said," Luke snorts and I roll my eyes. He's such a dork.

"Carter, shut the hell up or get out of my class!" She shouts.

"You wouldn't survive without me," he smirks.

"Just move it," Coach orders him.

"I...can't...do...this," Colette pants beside me, as we run.

"Come...on, Colette," I encourage her. "Only a few more."

They really shouldn't put gym class after lunch.

"I...can't," she wheezes, coming to a stop and resting her hands on her knees, taking large gasps of air.

I trudge to her and push her to move, only for her to fall right on the floor and I fall on top of her.

"Ow," she groans.

"Falls! Evrémonde! What are you doing!" Coach Taylor yells.

"Um...running?" I answer.

"Get the hell up right now!"

I get off of Colette and jump back up. Colette turns on her back and holds up both of her arms for me, I grasp them and pull her up.

"Alright. Enough running for today!" She says. "Today we'll be playing dodgeball."

No, you will be playing dodgeball. I will be sleeping on that bench.

"No," Colette whines.

"It will be fun. We'll be fine," I assure her. "We'll be totally fine. Just don't get your bum smacked."

"Easy for you to say. You're like a freaking pole," Colette mumbles.

"That's not going to help me with anything," I tell her.

"Just try hiding me, if our plan doesn't work."

"Got it."

"I want two teams. Team one: Stevens, Robertson, Davis, Pérez, Clark, Walker, Brooks, Kimathi, Olatunji, Adams," she says and I sigh in relief when she doesn't call me or Colette. "Team two: Laghari, Harris, Montes, Carter, Thompson, Wells, Evans, Falls, Evrémonde, Sasaki."

Everybody moves to their teams and Colette and I walk to Coach Taylor, like we're used to. Colette and I always go to the coach and tell her that we need to go to the bathroom. It never worked, but that doesn't stop us from trying.

"Coach Taylor?" I say.

"What?" She answers.

"May I go to the bathroom?" I ask, smiling.

"No," she snaps. "And neither can you, Evrémonde."

"I didn't even ask yet," Colette exclaims.

"Get to your teams," she points at the team standing on the right side of the room.

We sigh and drag ourselves to where the rest of the team is standing, then we stand in the far back of the room and by far back, I mean, far far far back. The whistle goes off and every person rushes to get one of the rubber balls, while we desperately try to camouflage. Colette is right behind me the entire time, following my actions and movements.