Mother's Day

Part 2 of "Lullubies".
A few years into the future

"Simon, what are you doing?"

Said boy turns around in one swift move to meet the other's eyes.

"Nothing Uncle Edd... Nothing..."

Edd looked at him in suspicion.
"You do know your mom wouldn't want you misbehaving, right?"

Yes, Tom had told them... In some way...
He was surprised that they were fine with it.

"Oh please don't tell him! Please uncle!" Simon pleaded.

"Then tell me what you're doing." Edd simply crossed his arms.

Simon sighed in defeat and moved to the side to reveal a little box-shaped gadget. He was intelligent for a twelve year old boy; just like his mother.
But he mainly got his technical skills from secretly watching his uncle Tord work while hidden.
It was fun.

Speaking of his uncle, when he was five, he would always approach him other than his mom. At first Tord did not have any intent or care for the boy but... It got to him... He began to care and spend time with Simon.
Thus, Simon got attached to him more.
Tom was afraid Tord would do something, but it turns out that he favored the kid.

He would usually be taken out for a small trip by the woods or around town and even into the city.

He wasn't, however, permitted to enter his lab.

Not until he was old enough.

"Simon... Um.. What's this?" Edd asked as he gently picked up the device. The box was designed in a simple structure. The sides had circles poking out. On the top, there was a small 3x3 pad.

"It's... Complicated... Well- I used what I learned from uncle- I mean, school to my advantage and made this. It's a replica of the original. This "box" contains a simple surprise. You can set it to any event, time, or celebration!"

"It's an Event Box?"

"Sorta... I don't know what to call it yet, but the original is bigger." Simon shrugged as he hopped off his swivel chair and searched for something in his drawers.
He comes back carrying a much larger version of his invention.

Simon handed it to his uncle and sat back down on his chair as Edd examined it. A bit heavy, but he was impressed.

"You think Uncle Tord would find it cool?"

Edd looked at the boy and gave him a gentle smile.
"I think he will."

"But..." Edd continued. "Why did you make this?"

Simon fiddled with the pencil he took from the desk.
"It was supposed to be for tomorrow."

Edd looked at him before looking at the calendar. Then he thought to himself, 'what's tomorrow?'

"It's Mothers Day."

"Guys! Lunch!" Matt called out.

Lunch had rolled around. Tom wasn't going to be back until tomorrow. Again. Simon was a bit disappointed that he couldn't eat lunch with him, but he told himself not to worry. After all, Mothers Day was tomorrow.