Late Christmas with Simon

"Mom! Uncle Tord and I got you something!"

Tom turned around to see Simon giddily holding on to something hidden behind his back.

He hummed. "Oh my, what did you get me?"

"You'll have to find out yourself!" Simon said, giving the mystery object to his mother.
Tom looked at it with curiosity as he opened it carefully. It was neatly wrapped in blue and silver paper, and he didn't want to ruin it.

The hand writing "To: Thomas" was in a clean cursive. He guessed that Tord would've written it.
What did he get this time?
He hoped it wasn't another one of those—

As he opened the wrap, his eyes widened in surprise. The gift was a chained necklace with a blue sapphire hanging from it. Aside from that, there were other various gifts such as extra guitar strings, a small bag for light or outdoor travel to the mall or the park, and black fingerless gloves.

But what got his attention the most was a small photo of him carrying Simon who was still a newborn next to a man with the same color as Simon's hair.
Dark, pitch black, slightly messy.

Oh no.

"I- I love these, thank you so much dear." Tom placed the things to the side, embracing him in a hug.
Simon hugged him back; a huge smile displayed on his face.

Once they let go, Simon explained how he asked for his uncle's help in getting him gifts, and along the way, they met someone.

"He told me to give you a picture. It looks like us Mom!" He pointed out as he took the photo from the box.
Simon gave the picture to him, in which he studied. It was when Simon was born.

He turned the photo around.

His eyes widened.

It was written in black ink. The writing was ever so familiar. The same style he had seen every time those letters were sent. Isn't he quite old fashioned?

'See you soon..'

"But... There's one thing I wanna ask about... Who is he?" Simon asked as he looked at the stranger in the picture.
"He looks... Just like me..." Simon's voice faded slightly, as if he knew who he was, but couldn't quite remember.
There was some sort of connection- like he was his-

"No one important. Anyway, why don't we bake some Christmas cookies for you uncles? Sound good?"
Tom suggested, placing the picture into the box.

Simon nodded in excitement.

He was always happy.

Tom smiled. He hoped he would always stay happy.

But he knew that wouldn't be possible...

There would be a time...

"See you soon..." Tom whispered to himself, repeating what he had just read.

Merry Belated Christmas