11

This Friday was the first football game of the season and in response, some junior was hosting a huge party that everyone was buzzing about.

"You're coming to the party on Friday right?" Skylar asked me as we worked on English homework.

"If we don't have family dinner then of course," I answered him

Skylar nodded, "Sounds good. How was the ball? My parents said that they ran into you."

I wonder if they told him that they didn't run into the rest of my family. I wasn't going to confess, because it wasn't like I did anything.

I was just keeping my options open.

I looked at him, "It was fun. They really know how to throw a party."

"I guess Parker got that from his Dad." I realized

Skylar let out a laugh, "I saw some pictures and it looked nice."

"He - it was nice." I responded as I closed my English binder

I looked at the text that was sent a minute ago, "My parents are on their way home so you should probably get going."

"Who is throwing the party on Friday?" I wondered as Skylar began to get his stuff together

"I'm honestly not sure, I just got the address from someone. I'll tell you when I find out." Skylar spoke

I walked him outside to his Infiniti coupe that was in my driveway.

"Bye, Pey." Skylar ended as he began to lean in.

"Bye, Skylar." I whispered as we were inches away from each other.

I took a small step back and brushed my hair behind my ear.

This was so awkward.

I didn't want to kiss him. I only wanted to kiss him

"No kiss?" he questioned me.

"My throat is a little sore. I don't want to give you strep or anything." I lied.

So Skylar leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"Love you, bye." He ended without another thought

My heart dropped as I watched him get into his car and pull off like it was nothing.

What. the. fuck?

And for the rest of the week, he never bought up the fact that he dropped the L-bomb on me. Not when we were getting student council things together, during study dates, nothing. It was weird.

The memory of him saying kept running through my mind and I hated it. No matter how hard I tried to forget it, I couldn't.

It wasn't that I didn't like Skylar.

I liked the three freckles on his face, his obliviousness, the fact that he was somewhat shy. It was also weird that the things that attracted you to someone could turn you off.

I was someone who read into every little thing, Skylar was the exact opposite.

Sometimes I hated the fact that Skylar was kinda shy. I was the type of person who fed on the energy around me and his nerves would radiate on to me. I hated being clammy and nervous.

I liked Skylar as a person. I just didn't know if I liked him as a boyfriend. 

Life was weird.

But I knew I had to stop leading him on. I just didn't want to break his heart.

What was weird was the fact that it was the first football game of the season and the theme wasn't even related to our mascot like usual. But everyone thought a change was needed so hello Luau theme.