42

I play with Kona, laying on my side while I dangle her toy in front of her face. Pulling it up as she tries to swat it with her paw.

I laugh as she pounces, clumsily falling on her back. She walks over to me defeated, curling next to my small belly. It was small, but you can see a little dent. A huge difference from last month when I still had my flat stomach. I was now 10 weeks pregnant.

And I still haven't told Dante. I decided just to wait until he came back home, which he said was pushed back to next month. I missed him a lot, and when I was throwing up over the toilet every chance I got I wish he was here for me but I knew it would be worth it to tell him in person.

Plus I wasn't too lonely. I was happy too, I had my Kona and I had our baby right inside me.

But one thing I found unbearable was that I couldn't call Jade. Or my brother. It made me cry everything I think about it but I had to let it go for the baby's sake.

I suddenly felt hungry, which was pretty rare. I looked to Kona, "You hungry too, Ko?" I laughed as the little kitty jumped on me excitedly. "Okay, Okay. Lets eat." I sat up and stood up, walking over to the pantry to grab some of Kona's food.

I bend down, putting her food in her cute orange and purple bowl. "There ya go, Ko." I said standing up, tossing the can away. I washed my hands and thought up something I should cook. I had a doctors appointment today so I just made something quick and yummy.

A peanut butter and banana, with some oats inside because I wanted something g crunchy. I grab three tangerines, the things I've been living off of for the past few months. I take a bite of my sandwich, crossing my legs as I lay back in the couch. While chewing I start to peel my tangerines, pulling the slices apart and shoving some in between my sandwich.

I hummed as I took a bite, scrunching my nose in delight. Before I left I decided to make another sandwich stuffed with tangerines and bananas to go. I kissed the top of Kona's head and walked out of the loft a wide smile on my lips.

I pressed my hand to my stomach as I rode the bus. I would be hearing my baby's heart beat for the first time. I take off my headphones, igniting the stares and pressing the against my belly. The music vibrating against my skin, the sound of classical music relaxed me and I hope it was the same for the baby.

I hop off the bus, stepping out towards my destination. I walk into the clinic, a chorus of hellos welcoming me. I smile and greet them back, I walk to the front desk.

"Appointment for Havana Sanchez?" The man asked in French. I nodded my head.

"How long will the wait be?" I asked speaking to him in the same language. He shook his head.

"No wait, the Doctor Avet is ready for you now. Just go through that door right there, and I'll guide you from there." He explained.

"Thank you!" I turned and walked to the door that had been pointed out.

"Just lay still, Miss Sanchez. The gel is a little chilly so don't be too surprised." Doctor Avet smiled, she pulled on her gloves and grabbed a tube of something. My heart was beating faster than ever before as Doctor Avet motioned for me to pull my shirt up.

I slowly pulled up the green turtle neck shirt closer to my boobs. My small bump on show. Goosebumps littered my skin as the clear gel was lathered around my tummy. Doctor Avet grinned, her brown eyes locking with mine as I stare at her excitedly.

I pressed my fingers to my lips, waiting in perfect silence. Until the most beautiful noise I've ever heard blessed my ears.

Tears filled my eyes, "That's your baby's heart beat. How strong." Doctor Avet grinned.

I let out a short gasp of a laugh, I was crying. I was crying happy tears. For the first time in months. I'm crying for a good reason. "And that's your baby right there. See that little bean like figure?" I stare at the black and white screen. Staring at my baby, I took in a shaky breath.

"Amazing." I breathed out, tears still leaking but I had a grin that I've never used before.

"I'll see you for your next appointment. The baby and yours vitals look good. You're gaining the appropriate weight as well. Goodbye, Miss Sanchez." Doctor Avet waved me off but before I could go anywhere I bumped into someone.

"Oh, my I'm so-" I glanced up to a familiar face. "Mathis." I felt myself go into shock. My face burned, and not from the cold. He looked from me, and the door that had made us collide into each other.

"I-it's not what it looks like...um, it's more like..." I didn't like this. I didn't want this. To be hiding my baby's life that was growing inside me. "I'm pregnant." I said finally, feeling my chest feel as light as ever.

"I know," He says, my eyes go wide.

"Huh-" I start but he cuts me off.

"My hospital is attached to this clinic." Mathis said smiling. I winced, shaking my head. And I thought I was so slick. I switch which foot I was standing on.

"O-ohhh, wow." My voice catches in my throat. "Don't...tell Dante. Okay? I just-I'm content with just myself knowing. I don't want anything to get hectic. Please?" Mathis shook his head, his hand gently patting my head.

"You don't even have to ask." We grinned at each other. "Come on," He said, tossing his head to the left. "Let me drive you home."

Mathis and I drank tea, we sat together on the couch, the TV on in the background. "Wow, 10 weeks already. That's amazing." He said smiling at me. "You're gonna make an amazing mother, Ava."

I blushed, watching as Kona took a liking to Mathis, cuddling in his lap. "You think so? I'm not...being selfish?"

Mathis looked at me with his kind eyes, "Let me tell you something, Ava. That little thing is the most important thing to you already, I can see it in your eyes." He playfully poked at my stomach. "But just keep that in mind. No matter what, your baby is the most important thing. And that baby will be the first thing you think of whenever you make a decision." Mathis spoke to me honestly.

"Mathis?" I asked, and he nodded at me.

"You're my friend right?" I asked, smiling. He rolled his eyes with a laugh.

"Am I not?" He taunted and I wrapped my arms around him.

"Thank you so much."

put your seatbelts on you guys because next chapter is gonna be one hell of an emotional roller coaster