Chapter 30

Yuma gulped, staring at the giant fence that read DANGER cutting off the standard plains of the leaf from the sinister looking forest called the Forest of Death. He looked at his teammates at his side, both with looks of determination in their eyes. He began to eye the other test-takers who had gathered in front of the gate, as everyone waited for the lady named Anko Mitarashi.

'Forest of Death huh? Whats next, Swamp of despair?' Yuma joked inside, trying to calm his nerves.

"How can the both of you not even be worried in the slightest?" Yuma asked, jealous over their lack of fear.

"Why should we be scared?" Naruko asked with a lift of her brow and a smile.

"I don't know, maybe because we are standing in front of a place called The Forest of Death?" Yuma remarked back, slightly annoyed at her complete lack of trepidation.

"Worrying about it won't do us any good, besides we're strong enough to handle this." Sasuke chimed in.

"You mean you two are strong enough to handle this. You do realize unlike the both of you, I happen to not be a prodigy?" Yuma replied back.

"Oh come on Yuma, lighten up! You're not weak, you survived the Wave mission ya know!" Naruko said, trying to raise his confidence.

"Barely. I had to lose both my arms to even hope of living." Yuma grumbled.

"W-Well...You have a point there I guess..." Naruko replied with an awkward pause, having forgot about that.

"What Naruko is trying to say, is that your far stronger then you think you are. I should know that better then anyone considering you bested me in a sparring match. Your not the same weakling who fainted during the bandit raid Yuma. You've gotten better." Sasuke said, patting Yuma on the back.

"You would have beaten me if you were focused, but...Thanks Sasuke. Its good to be told i'm not a weakling for once." Yuma relented.

"Its no problem, after all...You'll always be the Dead Last to me." Sasuke responded back jokingly.

"I take it back, you're a jerk." Yuma retorted.

Behind them, several teams from the other villages stared at Team Seven with contempt and rage. Many of the Iwagakure ninja especially hated Team Seven for Naruko being the daughter of the man that butchered their forces during the Third Great Ninja War. Naruko however, remained oblivious to all the people wishing for her and her teammates deaths. Yuma glared at Naruko in response.

"I hate you." He said with a sigh.

"What!? What did I do?" Naruko pouted.

"Seriously? Your telling me you don't feel the death stares being thrown our way?" Yuma complained.

"Humph! How is it my fault if there jealous of me huh? Besides, Its not my fault my dads awesome!" Naruko said, pride shining through her voice as she turned up her nose at Yuma.

"That's not why they're glaring at us and you know it." Yuma deadpanned in response.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." She responded.

"...Kami, you can be unbearable some times." Yuma said, sighing in defeat.

"Unbearably cute you mean!" Naruko said, sticking out her tongue.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that." Yuma said with a laugh, causing Naruko to pout.

"Jerk!" She said with a pout.

Sasuke looked back at the people glaring their way, narrowing his eyes.

'Despite how little seriously Naruko is taking this, Yuma is right. These people look like they're out for blood, and with killing being allowed in this part of the exams, I'm willing to bet they'll do anything to get it. I need to protect Naruko whatever it takes.' Sasuke thought, turning to his childhood friend and secret crush.