Chapter 44

"Why are you back, Jiraiya?"

Jiraiya continued to stare into Minato's eyes. His students' eyes. Pride, regret, longing, self disgust and respect. Those feelings bubbled up in Jiraiya's chest. A complex bouquet of feelings filled his heart with a stiff pain. And that was because...

Minato was right.

Jiraiya had abandoned them. He left the leaf for a life long crush that was unrequited. He left the leaf for a friend that could no longer be brought back to the light. He left the leaf for a chance to right past wrongs, and carve a better path for his and those he held dear, his precious people's futures.

And he failed.

He failed the one thing he had abandoned all he knew to accomplish.

And that alone was his fault, his burden to bear.

His.

And no one else's.

And that was why...

"Because the Leaf is in danger."

That was why he had to do everything he could...

To not fail again.

"Explain." Minato demanded, his attention now caught.

Jiraiya sighed, and looked to the ceiling, thinking over the best way to explain to Minato the out right awful situation and danger the leaf was now in. He breathed, and decided to just come right out with the truth. No sugar coating it.

"Orochimaru has been here, the village is filled to the brim with Akatsuki spies, and a series of murders by an unknown assailant is rocking the village to its core. You need to cancel the exams."

Minato narrowed his eyes.

"I'm already aware of all of that. The exams will continue. We have it handled." Minato said, not looking like he was going to budge on the matter.

"Do you really though?" Jiraiya said, his gaze unflinching.

"Excuse me?" Minato asked with a glare.

"Sorry if I come off as rude, but last I heard you were letting that old mummy run the show. He has far too many control over this whole village. Someone like him shouldn't be-!?"

"Jiraiya of the Sannin, are you questioning my ability to lead and properly delegate tasks to my ninja?" Minato asked, his expression now furious.

"No. What I'm questioning is your ability to know who you should put your trust in." Jiraiya responded back bluntly.

Minato stared down at his feet beneath the his desk. Not bothering to look into Jiraiya's eyes.

Jiraiya took that as a sign he was getting through to him, and continued.

"He has committed numerous crimes and has not paid for a single one. He is responsible for the deaths of many, including one of your own pupils. He has had a hand in creating one of the villages biggest traitors of which has reportedly joined the Akatsuki. Do you really believe Danzo Shimura is someone to be trusted?"