Fragmented Memory 3

The boy stared.

He stared at the sight before him like everyone else around him in the school yard.

But unlike his peers, who stared at the sight in awe, he stared with contempt and envy blazing in his soul.

"Wow, you two already know the tree climbing exercise? Should've known." Iruka exclaimed with pride as he smiled at the villages prodigies.

A young Naruko struck a pose, giving two thumbs up as she stared down at the others with a bright grin, standing sideways along the base of the tree, defying gravity. Sasuke smugly smirked, taking pride in his newly revealed talents while beside Naruko on the tree.

The boy looked to the ground, hating the look of confidence in Sasuke's eyes.

Confidence he wished he had.

"They're so cool" One student proclaimed, as Naruko and Sasuke proceeded to walk down the tree, being swamped with fellow students begging for the stars to teach them.

"You gotta show us how to do that!"

"Yeah, please teach us!"

"Come on, don't leave us hanging!"

Many others continued to offer praise as Naruko smiled brightly and Sasuke bragged.

"Oh come on, its not that big of a deal. Its just walking up a tree. Anyone with a proper grasp of chakra manipulation can do it." Sasuke bragged, basking in the attention and adoration.

"Sasuke's right, with enough practice anyone can do it! I can teach you guys if ya want!" Naruko said in an energetic and happy-go-lucky manner.

As praises were raining down upon them, Iruka shook his head with a smile.

"Later you guys! Right now we got a test! Everyone back inside." Iruka ordered, much to the dismay of the children.

The jealousy and hatred for the two continued to fester, until finally, it bubbled over. He clenched his fists, and ran to the direction of the tree line. Iruka stopped as he noticed the boy make a run for it.

"Hey, where do you think you're going!? Hey! Hey! Get back here!"

But the boy paid him no attention, dashing into the trees, running down the trail leading from the academy to his desired location. Ignoring the cries of Iruka, he continued to stew in his envy as he ran.

'They think they're so cool, I'll show them! I can do that too! Its just walking up a stupid tree! It can't be that hard!'

And with that he made his way to the forest.

〰️➿〰️

The sunset shined over the horizon, dying the trees of the leaf in a beautiful orange glow. The leaves fell from the tree, coating the forest floor in a leafy blanket. A long trail led from the forest to the village, giving it a beautiful autumn-like feel. Down the winding trail, voices could be heard, growing ever closer to the forest.

"Come on Lee, a hundred more laps to go! Let your youth be your guiding light!" Yelled a man with a bowl-cut, thick brows, and sporting a green jumpsuit and leg warmers.