Chapter 40

Minato walked up the Hokage tower, heading towards his office. He had been handed a letter by a ROOT agent. The letter was addressed to him by Danzo, in it was a mere sentence.

"We need to talk."

Minato opened the doors to his office, seeing Danzo waiting for him. Standing in the middle of the room. His face as stoic as usual. Minato took a breath, knowing the incoming conversation most likely would not be a pleasant one.

"What is it Danzo. I am very busy. The chunnin exams are under way as you know, and I need to-!?"

"The Akatsuki are in the village."

Minato stopped, narrowing his eyes at what he had just heard.

"How long have you known."

"Since my ROOT captured two of them about a week ago." Danzo quickly answered.

"And you are only telling me this now?" Minato asked, restraining his anger.

This had not been the first time Danzo had hidden things from him after all, and he was quite used to it.

"I felt that it was unnessary knowledge and you had more pressing things to-!?"

"Quit the bullshit Danzo, you and I both know what this is really about." Minato said, cutting Danzo off harshly.

Danzo's demeanor changed. His eyes narrowed as he let out a tired sigh.

"Minato...I will not let the Akatsuki interfere with these exams. And I need your help to see to it that they do not cause any disruptions." Danzo said.

"But why. You can't honestly expect me to believe that you care about these exams. You always talk about how a ninja must stay in the shadows and how the chunin exams are a complete mockery of the Ninja way of life. So why do you suddenly want my help. What has got you so invested in keeping these exams going that you would go as far as coming to me for help?" Minato asks, gauging Danzo with suspicion.

"...Naruko is growing up quite well Minato."

Minato tensed up.

"Sasuke as well..." Danzo continued

"What does that have to do with-!?"

"I know what you intend for them. I know that you're placing all your hopes in them. How you are molding them into becoming the saviors of the leaf. The symbol of light for the Land of Fire. Your successors. That is why you rigged the third exam to be one that ensures their success. Even a fool would notice that."

Minato remained quiet, allowing Danzo to continue.

"Minato...As you know...I grow old. More than likely, I will die within the next twenty, no, ten years. My twilight days are upon me. I too need a replacement. A successor. Someone to take my place when I die. The next Boogeyman of the Ninja World. The next shadow that takes out any danger to the light."

"...And that person?" Minato asked.

Danzo narrowed his eyes.

"Yuma Ito. He must pass these exams and become Chunnin. He shall be my successor." Danzo declared.

Minato kept his calm facade, but his now clenched fists betrayed his features.