Chapter 37

The crisp sound of crunched leaves could be heard as Kabuto made his way through the forest. He walked with purpose, a smile on his face as a stray ray of sun light gleamed off his glasses, creating a glint. The sound of crickets could be heard all around, as if they were the forest's muse.

Minutes on end and the only sounds that could be heard were the sounds of leaves crunching beneath Kabuto's feet, and the soothing chirping of crickets, the sun blocked by the towering trees of the Forest of Death. Kabuto began to hum contently as he trekked down a hill, smiling as he pushed aside some bushes, revealing a plain looking clearing.

He took a scroll from his left pocket, and opened it, holding it outstretched to compare the clearing to the one that was depicted on the scroll. He analyzed it briefly before nodding.

"Yep. This seems to be the place." He said with a small and innocent looking smile.

Kabuto came to a stop in the clearing. He whistled loudly, and then went quiet. For a while all he did was listen to the chirping of crickets.

Chirp.

Chirp.

Chirp.

...

Chirp....

...

Chirp.

...

...

...

...

Chirp.

...

...

...

Chir-

...

...

...

...

...

.....Hisssssssssss.

Snakes slithered out from seemingly every part of the clearings edge, forming a pile in the middle. Kabuto pushed up his glasses, and released a chuckle as the pile of snakes writhed and piled up so high that their shape seemed to mold into the form of a man. The form became more pronounced as black hair sprouted out from the bald head of the largest and only white snake in the pile, its face disgustingly contorting itself as the sounds of crunching bones could be heard.

The head of the snake was pulled back into the pile, as the other snakes then formed an arm, legs, torso, and finally...

The head of Orochimaru gushed out with a vile sound, similar to when one steps in a muddy puddle. He cracked his neck with a smile as Kabuto smirked.

A gust of wind billowed through the clearing, the trees making way for the sun, its rays shining down upon the pair.

"Have you had your fun in the Root of this mighty tree Lord Orochimaru?" Kabuto asked with a smirk.

"They say one should learn to separate business from pleasure, but I find both to be harmonious when brought together. Wouldn't you agree, dear Kabuto?" Orochimaru asked with a confidant and twisted smile, his hair flowing behind him as he threw a scroll over to the grey haired man.

Kabuto caught it within his right hand, and inspected it. He then unraveled the scroll, reading its contents. He gasped, a look of surprise forming on his face. It then changed into a smile, as he chuckled.