Chapter 43: Happy Birthday

The sun began to rise over the horizon, dying the Frost Village in a beautiful fluorescent light. A young child ran down her hallway with glee. She stopped in front of her parents room with a wide smile. She swung the door open and jumped onto the bed, waking her mother.

"Mommy, mommy wake up!" The girl said, shaking her mother to try and get her out of the bed.

"Ugh. Kohaku, its early. Can't you let me sleep for a few more minutes?" The mother asked as her daughter continued to move her back and forth.

"No! Its my birthday and daddy will be here soon! Get up mommy!" The girl, Kohaku whined.

"Fine, fine. Jeez, I don't remember raising you to be so bossy!" The mother said jokingly, patting her daughter on the head as she got out of bed.

The mother stretched her arms out, heading into her bathroom for a shower after telling her daughter to go brush her teeth. Getting out of the bath, she walked into the kitchen and began cooking breakfast. Her daughter ran out from the bathroom, having had taken a bath as well. She stopped at her moms side, stepping on her tippy toes to get a look on what her mother was cooking for breakfast.

"Yay! Bacon and eggs, my favorite! Thanks mommy!" Kohaku cheered, hugging onto her mothers waist.

Her mother smiled down at her, rubbing the girls head as she finished cooking.

With the food done, and the table set, the two sat at the table and enjoyed their breakfast.

Just a normal and peaceful morning. One like any other.

The mother looked across the table, and saw her daughter looking at the empty third seat with a frown.

"What's wrong sweety?" The mother asked.

"Daddy isn't here..." Kohaku grumbled.

"...Oh..."

The mother became silent, remembering when he had left.

"Don't worry honey. I'm just going to the plains out west to hunt, I'll be back before you know it."

That was a lie, and she knew it. Her husband wasn't aware, but she had already learned his real job. He was no hunter, he was a bandit. And just that knowledge alone scared the young wed woman.

She knew of course, that he truly loved and cared for the both of them. She also understood why he had chosen to resort to crime and theft. They had became strapped on cash due to their falling profits from their market stand. Business was slow, too slow, and if he hadn't resorted to crime, they wouldn't have the house they do now. But still, she couldn't help but worry. The only thing that kept her hopeful was the fact that he had once been a ninja, and thus was no slouch at combat.

She stopped herself from thinking about it any further, and smiled at her daughter.

"Don't worry honey, he'll be home soon. I'm sure of it. Now finish your breakfast dear. We need to go get groceries later." The mom said.

"Okay mommy..." The little Kohaku reluctantly agreed.

The mother smiled.

Unaware her husband had already been killed the day before.

〰️➿〰️