Chapter 42: A Festive Time For Regrets

The sun began to set as the village was in a bustle. People gossiped in the streets, the topic of said gossip of course being the Chunin Exams. It was an atmosphere that was very festival like, sweeping over the Great Village Hidden in the Leaves.

Betting stands littered the streets, people discussing who would be the most likely to pass the exams. Food booths were set up, and merchants were selling "Chunin Exams" merchandise, helping to spread the holiday-like feeling. People from other villages, tourists and diplomats, were also enjoying the festivities.

With such a mood hanging over the sun set dappled village, it would be obvious that people's minds would be off other things, focused solely on the Chunin Exams.

'Maybe that could be the reason behind people not recognizing my amazing art displays?'

With such an inane and asinine thought pervading his mind, a simple looking man blended in with the crowd, a clone jutsu being used to disguise himself as one of his more recent victims.

To the surrounding villagers he was Kurabi Watanabe, a simple man who lives a normal life, and works as a helper at the local orphanage.

That was the guise Deidara of the Akatsuki had chosen to wear.

'All these simple minded idiots. Unable to appreciate true art. No doubt they would call it "Heinous!" or "Evil!". A city filled to the brim with talent less wretches who possess not even a single iota of appreciation or understanding of true art. Hn.'

With such a flippant and arrogant thought, the twisted and narcissistic murderer Deidara walked down the village streets, completely in his own world.

'If being here wasn't an order from that bastard Kakumei, I wouldn't even bother with these morons hn.'

Deidara stopped breifly, looking down at his feet. Seeing a rolly polly stuck on its back, he frowned. He stared at the little thing, immersed in his own thoughts.

"Now that I think about it, there isn't much of a difference between you and these villagers. Isn't that right little guy? After all..."

And then, with no hesitation or remorse.

He brought his foot down upon the bug, ending its life with a smug grin on his face.

"You're all just a bunch of insects."

With that remark he said to no one in particular, he continued his walk, humming a catchy tone as he walked down the side walk. He turned a corner, and bumped into a tall individual. He stepped back, yelping a bit as he pretended to fall down while acting as a defenseless kindhearted citizen of the leaf.

"Ah, I'm sorry! Are you alright."

A man with a deep, yet young sounding voice asked, extending a hand to the "Fallen" Deidara.

Deidara did not take his hand, and dusted himself off in an exaggerated and grumpy manner.

"Watch were you're going you big oaf! Hn!" Deidara exclaimed, walking past the tall man, not even taking in his appearance.

The man stared as Deidara walked down the street corner, seeing him take a left turn down another corner, disappearing from sight.