XXIII.

DANCING WITH DRAGONS | XXIII.
"YOU'RE BEGINNING TO SEE"
( 'THE BETROTHAL' )

Ned Stark makes his way through the many men guarding the tent

Ned Stark makes his way through the many men guarding the tent. They stare at him but say nothing. Ned keeps his head down, almost as though he is ashamed of what he is doing, where he is going. Behind him are Stark men, maybe five or six, but like Ned Stark, they keep their heads down.

His destination is a red tent, with a black flag flying from it. On it, a dragon with three heads. Ned turns to their men and gives them a silent nod. They return the gesture, standing at ease. He takes a deep breath before pushing the flaps of the tent open.

And there sits Rhaegar Targaryen.

The Prince stands up from his seat, a smile on his face. Ned notices his black and red armor; he had seen it in Harrenhal at Lord Whent's tourney. That was where this mess had begun when Rhaegar Targaryen had set his eyes on his sister.

"Lord Stark," Rhaegar said, "I'm sad that we're meeting under such circumstances."

Ned tries to calm himself, "Where is my sister?"

"Lady Lyanna is safe in Dorne," Rhaegar tells him, "She is with child."

Ned drops his gaze to the ground. If Lyanna was in Dorne, then it was what she had chosen. No one could tell Lyanna where to go or what to do. If she was having Rhaegar's child, then it was because she wanted to.

"What is it that you want?" Ned asked, wanting to get to the point. He was betraying Robert by meeting with Rhaegar, but he needed to know about Lyanna. He needed to make sure that his younger sister was safe.

"I want peace, Lord Stark. Should I win this war, I'd like to fix the realm," Rhaegar tells him, "I hear your wife is pregnant."

"She is," Ned replies, thinking of Catelyn. She wasn't supposed to be his and Ned could tell by the way she looked at him. She didn't want him, she wanted his brother, Brandon.

"Should Lyanna have a son and your wife a daughter, I believe we should unite our houses," Rhaegar says.

Ned can't help the chuckle that escapes him, "And why would I do that?"

"For peace," Rhaegar says calmly, "I understand that my father murdered your father and brother. I understand what I did by running away with your sister, but I love her."

"You have a wife," Ned stated, "You have a daughter and a son that you abandoned."

"They will be safe in King's Landing," Rhaegar says and Ned scoffs. The Prince standing before him was truly a fool.

"Your father is mad. Do you truly believe he won't harm your family? Your mother? Your brother? Your wife and children?" Ned speaks passionately, "You are a fool."