XXXV.

DANCING WITH DRAGONS | XXXV.
"THE DAUGHTER OF ICE AND
THE SON OF FIRE"
( 'THE ENGAGEMENT' )

Daenerys ran her hand over the scaly skin of Drogon, smiling at the dragon

Daenerys ran her hand over the scaly skin of Drogon, smiling at the dragon. He let out a loud cry which made her smile. There had been a time where she thought Rhaegal, Viserion, and Drogon would be her only children, now she has two beautiful baby girls that she would do anything for.

"Your Grace," Daenerys turned to see Jon approaching her.

"Jon Snow," Daenerys said with a small smile, "Or should I call you Jaehaerys Targaryen."

"Jon is fine," he told her. He glanced at the dragon, "They're wonderful beasts."

"Yes," Daenerys says looking back at them, "They are."

She can hear Jon sigh from behind her, "I just wanted to tell you that I don't want the throne."

"No?" Daenerys asks, petting Drogon, "And why not? You led at the Wall. You were even King in the North."

"Aye," Jon answers, "But they were titles given to me. I never wanted them."

Daenerys turns to look at Jon, unable to figure him out. What did he want? He had a claim, yet he didn't want to rule. Most men thirsted for power, killed for it. But Jon was different.

"Then what do you want Jon? Daenerys asked.

He glanced sheepishly at the ground but didn't answer the question. Instead, he changed the topic, "I was to marry my sister, Alysanne."

"So, I've heard," Daenerys answered, a frown growing on her lips. Surely Jon had no intention with going through with the plot.

"She doesn't want the throne either," Jon said, "I guess I just wanted to tell you that your claim goes unchallenged."

"Jon, may I ask you a question?" Daenerys asks, to which Jon gives a hesitant nod, "Has anyone suggested to you that we should marry?"

"Lord Tyrion," Jon answers, and Daenerys believes him. Tyrion would want to plan strategically. Secure the throne by marrying one Targaryen to another. The difference was Jon didn't want to rule and Daenerys was uncertain that she could have the throne and Alysanne.

"And has anyone come to you about marrying Alysanne and claiming the throne?" she asks again, though she already knows the answer. She can even tell in the way Jon hesitates.

"Lord Varys," Jon mutters, "He believes that Alysanne and I are needed to reunite the realm."

"The daughter of ice and the son of fire," Daenerys says softly.

"I'd never do it, Your Grace, but Varys seemed quite adamant. He even questioned the state of your sanity," Jon confessed. To that, Daenerys rose an eyebrow.